Menu
robbyell
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box not starting - green screen

Hi - my TIVO's been a bit temperamental for a while, and is now showing a green screen with hideous warnings on it!  As I suspect this means the hard drive's on its way out, should I call an engineer now or will someone on here be able to help?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box not starting - green screen

Quicker to phone in I would think. Yes it does sound like it's dead! 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

what do the "hideous warnings" actually say ? we can be helpful but we're not psychic

0 Kudos
robbyell
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate - it's come back on again, but I don't hold out much hope.  I'm presuming I'll lose not only my recordings but also all the series links / wishlists etc...

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

depends where the fault is, so we are back to what do the messages say. if it has dodgy connectors , or a broken fan for example, but an OK hard drive hen your content will be OK. if the drive is failing then start binge watching now ! 

I am not sure where the series links etc are stored. I know you can edit those remotely but they may still be held on the drive. they would not take too  long to recreate on a new machine though.

making a quick & dirty list with paper and pencil maybe a wide precaution, while they are still readable

if it is failing, then recovering, it could be overheating then cooling down again, so it could be a problem with the fan or the PCB,  &  not the drive..

is there good ventilation & is it getting hot to touch ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi robbyell

I'm sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing with your service lately, I've been able to locate your account and run some tests on the set top box from our end for you.

We're currently seeing no problems with the set top box and I'm glad to see you say things are working well in your last post.

If anything changes or you continue to experience any problems with the service, respond here and I'll take another look as soon as possible.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
robbyell
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Craig and to everyone else who answered; thanks cybmole for the hints which I'll employ should the machine start up again (an hour and waiting this time!). 

With all due respect to VM / Tivo it’s a bit of a disgrace there’s no archive / backup facility – I’ve lost hours upon hours of work in collecting recordings and setting up wishlists / series links which now looks like it was wasted.

0 Kudos
robbyell
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

And cybmole: I assumed there was just one green screen message as it seemed such a strange colour for error messages!

It read: "The DVR has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about three hours. Please do not unplug or restart the DVR!. If you ahve a plasma TV or are concerned about image brun-in, you should turn off your TV for the next three hours. If, after three hours, the DVR does not restare, please call Customer Support."

0 Kudos
robbyell
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

but without the spelling mistakes.

0 Kudos
robbyell
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Next question (sorry to be so needy!): as it's now showing an apocalyptic "There is a serious problem with the Tivo box hard drive.  Please call our team.", is there a way round the failing hard drive to at least watch TV through the tuner, which shouldn't need to use the hard drive, should it?

0 Kudos