Menu
Ob1kenobe
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box - noisy "drip" sound

Hi, I can see this question has come up previously but then you direct message the user so I can't see what the resulting fix is. New customer and box only a month old but it makes a noise that I thought was a pipe dripping in my house. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box - noisy "drip" sound

Assuming it's what I think it is, the HDD within TiVo is continually buffering the channels it's tuned to while on.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Ob1kenobe
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm inclined to agree with you it's just how loud it is, I have other devices with both old style and solid state HDD in and they don't make as much noise so wanted to see if the box is having to work harder than it should or if it could be anything else. I assume it's a new box not a recon?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Never assume Smiley Wink

500GB or 1TB? The 500GB boxes should be noisier as the heads have to move twice as much to read/write the same amount of data.

It may also be to do with the fact that the TiVo has a grill on top to keep it cool, something that Samsung V+HD does not.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Ob1kenobe
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply. It's the 500gb version. It just surprised me that I could hear it enough to start thinking it was the plumbing in the house, I did have the volume on low, but we have newborns in the house (x2). When watching a film on demand it doesn't make the noise, would that backup your idea of it being the reading/writing or would the unit read the data the same way regardless if on demand content or live/recording etc?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Actually that surprises me a little - even when using OD, there should be at least another two tuners buffering, perhaps it's the use of the third which pushes it over the audible threshold.

0 Kudos