Menu
CaroleA2512
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box is crawling to a halt

Just recently, my Tivo box has been going very, very slowly.  I have tried rebooting it, but I can't get any real improvement in speed.  I worked my way through the stored programmes, and deleted many of them, in case I have overloaded the box.  However, it is still very slow, even while trying to watch live TV.  Any ideas what is the matter?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box is crawling to a halt

Hi CaroleA2512, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you here involved in the Community. 

Apologies for the time it's taken for us to reach your post. We've been a little behind lately and are playing catch up. 

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® box seems to be running slow. You've done the right thing by rebooting the box and clearing off anything you don't need on there. 

How have you found things since you posted? Has there been any improvement? 

If not pop back and let us know so we can run through some further diagnostics with you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Shroko
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The original non Virgin modified TiVo was great but unfortunately Virgin's implementation of it has just gone from bad to worse and almost unusable. Just search for "slow Virgin TiVo" on Google.

It's OK for just watching live TV, but the menus are slow, accessing catch up is bad, and the apps like Netflix and youtube are unusable, painfully slow and unreliable.

If you want to watch catch up services or use Netflix then any smart TV tablet or PC will do it much much better, don't bother with the TiVo it's just painful.

Virgin are in complete denial about the state of their TiVo service, it needs new updated hardware and/or a complete rewrite to improve performance.

The recent update hasn't improved things and in fact some aspects are even worse.

Meanwhile they just tell you to reboot it constantly as a short term 'fix'. The scripted replies the forum staff give you are just ridiculous and of no help.
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This happened to my box about 3 days ago followed by no on demand services. However, about 5 hours after telephoning the fault, interactive services were restored and the Tivo box is now very fast - not sure how but they managed to speed up all functions.
Shroko
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Zilch,

Sorry, but I find that hard to believe. What you say does not correspond with the general consensus.

You only have to look on the web or search this forum to see evidence of the sluggish nature of TiVo.

There is no miraculous way to restore the services in the way you describe.
CaroleA2512
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's true the simplest option is usually the best.  After phoning VM, the guy on the end of the phone asked me to check various things.  Then he told me to check the cable.  Turns out the HDMI cable I had been given when I signed up with them was kaput.  The only other cable I had was a 10m HDMI, which I had been using to stream video from the computer to the TV.  Not only were all my programmes on the box, but also some that I had set a schedule for Smiley Happy  The guy from Virgin was a genius.

0 Kudos
pete_at_home
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HDMI cable should not affect the TIVO UI speed ???    Sounds like the guy got you to do something else in addition to changing the cable.

CaroleA2512
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No, the HDMI doesn't control the speed of the box. The box had been crawling very slowly. I had turned it off. The problem happened when I restarted the box, and I couldn't get anything. At no time had I dislodged the cable. It was coincidence the cable had failed. Luckily I had a spare, albeit a 10m long one, as I had been streaming films to the TV screen. I have since got rid of a lot of stuff that was stored in there, so it's a bit faster now.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Apologies for the inconvenience. This is an issue we are aware of and are working to resolve.

Keep an eye on this thread for more information and updates.

Thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Shroko
Up to speed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

John,

What issue are you referring to exactly?
0 Kudos