Menu
ryanb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box has the freezing/pixelation issues for a few months now

Hi, 

Our Tivo box recordings, when played back, are freezing and pixelating as reported by many other users. Our dilemma, like most others, is that the box contains a huge amount of recorded material that we'd like to keep if possible.

We have turned off the machine and unplugged for 5 minutes but the fault still remains.

Could you advise where we go from here? Perhaps test the line?

Also would it be possible to keep the old TiVo box if a replacement is required, so we can try and watch the back log out recordings?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box has the freezing/pixelation issues for a few months now

Hi Ryanb,

Thank you for coming in and posting, I'm sorry that there's been some issues on the freezing TV. I have been looking into this and I can see that there are some signal levels that need adjusting and would need an engineer Smiley Happy

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
JE1988
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi I am having the same trouble as well with my TiVo box is there anything I can do?
0 Kudos
gruttyman
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Having the same problem too, have posted separately, but this is ominously starting to look like a very common issue.

Maybe the TiVo disk has a finite life and many of us are coming to the end of this period.

As has been asked here, it would be good to have a utility to back up and recover our recordings, I have tons of stuff I don't want to lose if the box is swapped.  Maybe under this 'special' circumstance, Virgin can validly copy all recordings from one TiVo to another, using their otherwise next to useless TiVo to Tivo streaming feature?

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

gruttyman wrote:

Having the same problem too, have posted separately, but this is ominously starting to look like a very common issue.

Maybe the TiVo disk has a finite life and many of us are coming to the end of this period.

As has been asked here, it would be good to have a utility to back up and recover our recordings, I have tons of stuff I don't want to lose if the box is swapped.  Maybe under this 'special' circumstance, Virgin can validly copy all recordings from one TiVo to another, using their otherwise next to useless TiVo to Tivo streaming feature?

Have you tried MRS lately? It now seems that most channels (if not all) are now enabled so their recordings can be streamed between TiVo boxes!

I do agree that a way to backup recordings would be good although they would have to be encrypted so they could not then be copied off or used on another box or rather a box on a different VM account.

I often thought that a way around this might be an encryption key unique to your account that any boxes on the account would use so that recordings could be backed up and encrypt to an external HDD connected to the box. Then if the TiVo failed the replacement TiVo would be using the same encryption key so it could decrypt the recordings from the backup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I really hope they are able to sort your issues but a year or so ago I was having the same trouble and it was a knackered hard drive. We were one of the first to take up TiVo so it was an original drive. I did start recording current programmes on both drives (we have one in LR and one in BR) and worked my way through a lot of old content but in the end it needed replaced and I lost a lot.

Currently our 2nd drive (which we got close to the same time as our first) is doing the same, so the past couple of weeks we have been recording current programmes on both while hubby clears his stores movies off it. Appt is booked on Friday and we expect to have to replace it as a test showed disc errors.

As others have said I wish they could come up with a way to back up or transfer content, but unfortunately not. I hope yours is just signal levels.
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi JE1988,

Thank you for coming back and posting again Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to read about the TiVo's pixelation issues you're experiencing, I'm glad that you've already met some of the Community.

I can see straight away that your TiVo needs looking into, the signal levels aren't what they should be and will be causing some interruptions. I would like an engineer to come out and have a look, I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Badbadger
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Same issues here. For the past several days we have experienced severe pixelation. Seems particularly bad right now with the debate, barely watchable. Based just outside Brighton, and no known service issues on the site.

would appreciate some assistance in clearing this up.   Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
ryanb
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

This seems to be a standed cut & paste response to all forum posts with similar issues.

Could you be honest and open with me about the issues with the Tivo as it seems to have happened to many other customers? Are the hard drives failing?

You also haven't answered my question about keeping the faulty box if the programs cannot be transferred?

Thanks

Ryan
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ryan

I'm sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing with your TV service lately, it's not something we want for you.

If the recorded content on your set top box has a less than perfect picture then often, the issue is to do with the hard drive. The hard drives on the TiVo boxes can't be replaced which is why we look to swap the box, this is always a last resort as we understand how frustrating it can be to lose your current recordings but if there's a problem with your current box, it's best to resolve that problem before future recordings are also affected.

As for keeping the box, that's not possible. If you want to watch the content recorded on the box before the possibility of it being replaced then that's fine, but there wouldn't be a situation where you have more than one set top box so you can catch up.

As for where we go from here, I'd like to take a closer look at the TiVo from our end but I've not been able to accurately locate your account. If you're able to respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information, I'll take a look and get back to you.

You can view the message by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos