Menu
Alan_Beard
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box freezing

Hi hope someone can help

My mother was sold an upgrade to a TIvo box in June this year, which has never worked properly since the installation. Since then she has made multiple service calls and ad one service visit but no improvement in the service.

I have tried to help a bit but live a long way away and don't spend enough time ar her house to make significant progress with the issue.

There are two separate symptoms which could be two different faults, my hope is that someone can do more digging than the normal telephone support.

The first symptom which I am convinced is a box fault or box getting locked because of a service fault. After between one a and two hours use watching a program received from the service the picture freezes, we have seen it with the audio continuing ok and I think sometimes with loss of audio as well. Turning the TV on and off has no impact on the problem, I don' think putting the box on standby using the handset clears the problem most or all times, but turning the power to the box of clears the problem.

The other issue we experienced today and my mother has seen other times is that the TV switches to an alternative input, didn't have an opportunity to find out if this is triggered by a change in status of the Set top or a problem with the TV.

Some things I have observed with the installation that may not be helping. When the new wireless router was installed the previous one was left operating as well, I assume to avoid the hassle of changing network settings on my mothers computer, could this cause a problem?

There area number of RF coax cables coiled up and tangled with other leads, I know this is bad practice for RF cabling, not sure how much of a problem it could cause.

My mother has currently given up with trying to get the problem resolved and is considering an alternate service as the best way to move forward, would be good to get this resolved without that change.

I have all the customer details which I can provide by private email.

0 Kudos
Alan_Beard
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box freezing

Hi a further update on the problems I am describing.

Today we worked out that the problem where the TV switches away from the scart connector for the Virgin box is triggered by the Virgin box re-booting it's self. This happens after between 30mins and 2 hours of watching.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Alan

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it could be a number of things from a faulty box which needs replacing to a signal fault which needs adjusting. I'm afraid your best course of action is to book another engineer. If you can't be there perhaps another relative or a neighbour could help? 

Make sure you write down the problems you're having. Make sure th engineer is aware and stays until it's fixed. 

You may also have a fault with the tv. Has it got an hdmi port to use rather than scart? 

0 Kudos
Alan_Beard
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the input, regarding the TV it doesn't have an hdmi port, but to be honest I can't see the Tv causing the box to reboot but am fairly sure the box reboot could cause the TV to switch away from the scart input

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alan_Beard,

Thank you for taking the time out to post your message in the Community, welcome in Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to learn about the TiVo freezing whilst trying to view your shows and programmes. I'd like to help here and I've been able to run some well needed tests. The tests results came back with a few problems that I'd like to help with, your downstream power levels aren't working as they should be.

I've got some additional information I'd like to discuss and I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Get back to me when you can.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos