Menu
Reply
  • 6
  • 0
  • 1
acahill
Tuning in
342 Views
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box deleting lots of programs

Very frustrated with Virgin Media tonight as for the second time in about 4-6 weeks, my Virgin Tivo box has decided to delete about 15% of my recordings - they're not in the deleted items folder.   If that wasn't frustrating enough I rang to report the issue and had my box rebooted without warning by the "customer services rep" who seemed to find it funny that I now had lost another recording that was occurring during the reboot.

Apparently it's my fault for not rebooting my box each week (the last reboot was 13 days ago that's her reason for rebooting my box during the call without my consent) I can't be alone in assuming that as I'm not told to reboot my box every week, or it being something that is done out of hours when it is on stand by automatically, that I should expect the service to work without requiring a reboot every week. 

Also it's my fault as I shouldn't let my box get to 70% full?  Really?

So the helpful solution is that my box will be monitored for the next 48 hours and then if it happens again to ring back - probably for another forced reboot and fob off.

It didn't seem important to the customer services rep that I was frustrated in losing programs - they're saved because I wanted to watch them - I pay a subscription to save and watch them t my leisure - those subscription pay your wages - At least I know I gave her and her colleague something to laugh at, which I had the pleasure of listening to as she wasn't quick enough with the hold button a couple of times.

0 Kudos
  • 7.31K
  • 304
  • 648
Moderator
Moderator
284 Views
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box deleting lots of programs

Hi there acahill, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing the loss of some recordings on your TiVo® and I'm also sorry to hear how things went when you called in. 

I've done some testing on the account, and have some questions I'd like to ask, so I'll send you a private message with this, please look to the top right hand corner of the screen and click on the purple envelope icon. 

I would advise to give the TiVo® a once weekly reboot - just to keep things fresh.

Apologies again. 

Huw


The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules


0 Kudos
  • 327
  • 10
  • 62
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
282 Views
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box deleting lots of programs


acahill wrote:

Very frustrated with Virgin Media tonight as for the second time in about 4-6 weeks, my Virgin Tivo box has decided to delete about 15% of my recordings - they're not in the deleted items folder.   If that wasn't frustrating enough I rang to report the issue and had my box rebooted without warning by the "customer services rep" who seemed to find it funny that I now had lost another recording that was occurring during the reboot.

Apparently it's my fault for not rebooting my box each week (the last reboot was 13 days ago that's her reason for rebooting my box during the call without my consent) I can't be alone in assuming that as I'm not told to reboot my box every week, or it being something that is done out of hours when it is on stand by automatically, that I should expect the service to work without requiring a reboot every week. 

Also it's my fault as I shouldn't let my box get to 70% full?  Really?

So the helpful solution is that my box will be monitored for the next 48 hours and then if it happens again to ring back - probably for another forced reboot and fob off.

It didn't seem important to the customer services rep that I was frustrated in losing programs - they're saved because I wanted to watch them - I pay a subscription to save and watch them t my leisure - those subscription pay your wages - At least I know I gave her and her colleague something to laugh at, which I had the pleasure of listening to as she wasn't quick enough with the hold button a couple of times.


This must be one of the more common faults that someone seems to report every day or so going back a few years. Some of the threads are linked below but it is by no means complete and is not been kept up-to-date.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Deleted-programmes/m-p/3056688#M131997

Some of the reasons for it happening are well known but have not been addressed by Virgin. Personally, I think it is bordering on scandalous that such a major fault has been ignored for so many years. A PVR  that cannot be trusted to not delete large chunks of recordings at any given moment.

Good luck with the monitoring and rebooting but it won't get you anywhere. Many of us have been through that malarkey.


This user has left the community.
  • 10.33K
  • 920
  • 2.1K
Superuser
Superuser
271 Views
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box deleting lots of programs

Is this not just TiVo doing its space management?

If you have a 500GB box, you can record up to 60 hours of HD programs.

If the box is 70% full then the other 30% is only capacity for a further 18 hours of recording.

Tivo plans it's scheduling up to 2 weeks in advance.

What if you wanted to record a further 30 hours in the next fortnight?

TiVo would need to free up 12 hours, which equates to 20% of capacity.

It seems entirely logical to me that TiVo would need to delete unwatched programs to make way for future recordings.

When I was a young lad in the IT industry, we always planned to never exceed 70% of any resource.

Seems to be a good rule of thumb here too.

0 Kudos
  • 6
  • 0
  • 1
acahill
Tuning in
245 Views
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box deleting lots of programs

That would suggest that I don't watch programs during that 2 weeks. It should then delete the programs that are set to keep until space needed, which some of them are, but it has deleted 5 episodes of one series and not the oldest ones, then 2 of another etc, if it was for space planning purposes you'd expect there to be some logic to it. Also if it was the case that we should only use up to 70% should we not know this? There is definitely an issue that needs resolving by virgin media rather than it just being blamed on the customers. Would you accept your car refusing you any journeys if it only has a third of a tank of fuel because it won't cover you for the next two weeks?
0 Kudos
  • 4.95K
  • 146
  • 282
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
222 Views
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box deleting lots of programs

Hi Acahill, 

 

Thank you for coming in and posting again, welcome back.

 

I'd love to help and have seen that Huw has sent you a PM previously. Have you been able to try this method and gain any further details?

 

PM myself if you need any additional help and I'll look forward to your response.

 

Many thanks.

 

Ben


Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know


0 Kudos
  • 1.32K
  • 46
  • 179
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
215 Views
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box deleting lots of programs


Ernie_C wrote:

Is this not just TiVo doing its space management?

If you have a 500GB box, you can record up to 60 hours of HD programs.

If the box is 70% full then the other 30% is only capacity for a further 18 hours of recording.

Tivo plans it's scheduling up to 2 weeks in advance.

What if you wanted to record a further 30 hours in the next fortnight?

TiVo would need to free up 12 hours, which equates to 20% of capacity.

It seems entirely logical to me that TiVo would need to delete unwatched programs to make way for future recordings.

When I was a young lad in the IT industry, we always planned to never exceed 70% of any resource.

Seems to be a good rule of thumb here too.


Ernie_C I know you are a Superuser and you do have a lot of sense and knowledge around here so I will put this comment down to having a bad day or something.

The TiVo should not be deleting anything until it gets to 100%. That is how it has always been with S1 TiVos and how it is with Virgin TiVos as I tested that quite early on in having one when they were release. The reason is as pointed out by the OP that I could have a day of work and have a huge binge on stuff and clear 10% of space in no time. Therefore it can't be guessing that it needs x amount of space for the next 2 weeks.

The amount of posts on here and just think how many people don't even know about this place so must have called in to report or even just took it on the chin and just got on with it. It's enough to know there is clearly an issue out there but either any attempts to fix have not worked or that no one is even trying to fix it which frankly is shocking.

0 Kudos