Menu
simoncooper76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box deleted programmes

Why has my TIVO box deleted loads of my programmes overnight?  The box was 79% full.  In the morning, most of the programmes were wiped although the box still claimed to be 79% full.  The missing programmes were not in the deleted programmes list.

After resetting the system, the missing programmes still didn't appear, but the % full went down to 14%, which looks about right given the reduced list on the screen.

The system also seems to be having problems displaying things.  You select a programme series group in My Shows but the screen won't show you the episodes (you just get that whirring circley thing on the screen).

I have reset the box twice but still no joy.  Help!

0 Kudos
simoncooper76
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box deleted programmes

Is this something to do with the software update? Things definitely look different like the box has had the update. Coincidence?

0 Kudos
simoncooper76
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok, the box problems have definitely coincided with the update. Weirdly, the screen might say there are 3 episodes of a show, but when you go into the show there may be several more episodes of the show in fact. Also, the box is recording the same episode on the same channel 2-3 times!! Why??

0 Kudos
nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I posted about this a week or so ago - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TIVO-BOX-UPDATED-NOW-DELETES-RECORDING... - with the thread title in block capitals to try to make sure people spotted it. Sounds like what happened to you is what almost happened to me after the recent update. I spotted the new (to me) 'keep until...' option (see original thread) a couple of days before I would have lost everything I recorded since 2014 and manually set everything to keep until I deleted it.

Sorry to hear you have lost your programmes.

simoncooper76
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, Nigel. Are you suggesting that any programmes that were flagged as KUID have been deleted by the box? So I need to make every programme flagged as Keep Until Space Needed to ensure it's not deleted? The box is still acting strangely. Like it says there are 6 programmes of a series but when you click on the series there are many more episodes recorded. And the box now records the same episode 2-3 times, whereas before it would have recorded it once.  Very strange!

nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Simon,

After the update I noticed the "keep until" option listed when I went to play back a programme. When I looked to see what it did, it said something like "keep through " and gave a date a couple of days in the future. I took this to mean the programme would be automatically removed on that date so I changed it to keep the programme until I delete it, i.e. it won't get deleted *ever* unless I delete it myself. I believe that's the only way to make sure programmes don't go missing. I had to do that for every programme I have recorded on the box. I was lucky I decided to play a programme back, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed "keep until" and could have lost the lot a couple of days later. Others have posted on the original thread I raised saying it has been like that for a while, but I never noticed that option prior to the update, and I play back programmes regularly. I read your post and it struck me that you might have fallen foul of the same thing.

When I delete a programme it stays in the deleted folder until the box decides it needs to remove some stuff to make room. It is unclear to me what "keep until" does when the date is reached, and there's no help I can find which explains matters. I'll have to do an experiment next week. If you want to keep something I suggest you pick the "keep until" option which keeps stuff until you delete it yourself.

I don't use series links so I haven't had any problems with them. I am finding the box painfully slow to use since the "update". Seems to me it doesn't have the computing power to do the job asked of it.

0 Kudos
Dayo40
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The last update resulted in all my series links automatically changing to HD. Very kind Virgin but to make room for the now much larger files, many of my existing recordings where deleted. To really finish the job the deleted folder was also deleted. Way to go Virgin. Way to go to Sky!

0 Kudos
nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My "Recently Deleted Recordings" folder is still present and correct. I have set "keep until..." for one programme I have finished with to 23rd August. I have not deleted it. I'll report back what happens to it.
0 Kudos