Menu
nanobot
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box cannot 'see' other Tivo box for multi-room streaming

Hi,

I've been reading through several other chats on this forum hoping someone would've come across a fix for this but I was unable to find anything.

The tivo boxes cannot 'see' each other. I've tried rebooting Tivo boxes and the router, firmware updates on home plug devices, also tried "connect to the Virgin media service now" but still no luck. Once, by some weird luck, both devices saw each other and once I was able to stream across without any problems at all. Since then my box in the lounge says "Bedroom' tivo no longer available and the Bedroom one doesn't list the 'lounge' at all. I can connect to both using TV Anywhere so they are both connected to my network.

I've got two Tivo boxes (Lounge and Bedroom), 3 home plug AV's (each connected to a Tivo box) and one to the router (all under the same encryption key - same network), an Asus AC Router and Virgin Superhub2 in 'modem only' mode.

The two Tivo boxes have static IP addresses and individual MAC addresses (i.e. no clashes with Powerline / home plug MACs).

The speeds of the home plug devices are monitored through a utility and recorded as 60mb+ for 'Lounge' and over 200mb for 'Bedroom'. So no problems with speed or connectivity over power-line.

Any ideas what his could be? I also can no longer change the name of my TV boxes at all. Tried several times and even clicked on "connect to the Virgin media service now" but after all of that it still reverts back to the old names (Lounge and Bedroom). No idea what's going on.

Anyone experience such problems with Multi-room streaming and was subsequently able to fix?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box cannot 'see' other Tivo box for multi-room streaming

Hi nanobot,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems getting the TiVo® multi-room streaming working. 

Just a few things to check with you, first of all:

Try powering everything off-SuperHub, Powerline adapters, and TiVo boxes then boot them back on in order of: SuperHub, Powerline adapter for the SuperHub, Powerline1 then TiVo1, and lastly the Powerline2 and TiVo2. 

If the rebooting sequence doesn't work then check the following:

Ensure the IP address is set to dynamic in the TiVo setting (on both TiVo boxes)

• Click Settings from the Home Screen 
  • Select Network 
  • Select Change Network Settings 
  • Select Get automatically from a DHCP server (typical)

Also, are any of the Powerline Adapters plugged into an extension socket? If so, please retest with the Powerline plugged directly into a wall socket to see if this makes a difference.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Kind regards,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
nanobot
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box cannot 'see' other Tivo box for multi-room streaming

Hi Terri, thanks for your response.

I tried connecting directly to the wall socket instead of extension, and both my Tivos were originally using DHCP but I recently changed to static since I thought I'd try something different. These changes didn't make any difference unfortunately.

Your first suggestion actually helped a little (1 box visible) albeit for a short while. TiVo2 could see Tivo1 but not the other way around. And after a while Tivo1 disappeared from the view of TiVo2 and it was no longer available.

Was checking around on other forums and this seems quite a common problem.

Thanks again for your suggestion. The boot sequence certainly does something to fix but this doesn't last for some reason.
0 Kudos
nanobot
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: fixed - Tivo box cannot 'see' other Tivo box for multi-room streaming

Changed from Trendnet Powerline adaptors to TP-Link and TiVo seems to stream perfectly... Even in HD. Looks like some Powerline devices just don't work with TiVo.
0 Kudos