Menu
omendata
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box - TIP To speed your Tivo box response up and make life easier

When you go to play something from recorded items it takes ages to register the remote control instructions and i have tried it with two different remotes and its the box.

One tip i can give is that i usually use the Tivo remote control app on my pc and laptop - its very very good and a great help. As it works via tcp/ip networking it bypasses the infra red of your remote and the box seems to respond faster. Hope that makes life easier for some peeps!

Tivo Net Remote (v1.00).

The designer and programmer of this neat little program deserves a badge and for Virgin to purchase the app from him its that good!

Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box - TIP To speed your Tivo box response up and make life easier

The designer and programmer of this neat little program deserves a badge and for Virgin to purchase the app from him its that good!

No need for them to do that as the TCP\IP remote control functionality is already a part of the TV Anywhere app, including some features that I don't believe are accessible through the publically available TCP\IP interface.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I was referring to laptop and pc's - please read!

You cant use the app with a pc or laptop!
And the app isnt compatible with Microsoft OS Phones , Nor Blackberry nor my Android phone so its of limited use for me.
It will also be slower than a direct network based tcp/ip connection as it uses wireless and it gets terrible reviews from virtually every mobile review site.
From what i understand the app is not a replacement for a remote control but a way of viewing recordings and tv?

Try to read - the program is a direct replacement for the remote! 
Ie it replicates the whole thing exactly!

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The app replicates the remote entirely (with a few extra features) and connects via TCP\IP directly to the TiVo when on the same network, the same as the various third party apps. It then also has additional features that aren't available on third-party apps such as a direct interface and the ability to view TV but I'll agree it's correct that it's not available for window phones or PCs.

The third party apps aren't really doing anything clever though, just using the simple TCP\IP interface which is publically documented by TiVo, I've used it myself on a few occasions when programming TCP\IP remotes to work with the TiVo.

0 Kudos