Menu
chrisjhack
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tivo alternative

Hi.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media offer an alternative box to the Tivo? Our Tivo box is generally very slow navigating around the menus, takes an absolute age to load the Clubland app or any other app for that matter, and just seems to struggle in day to day operation.

We moved over to Virgin from Sky a couple of years ago and although Virgin's broadband is brilliant the TV side of things is really disappointing. Our old Sky+HD box used to whizz around the menus and guide, responding instantly to everything we asked it to do. Using the Tivo box is like trying to wade through treacle.

We're getting to the stage now where we're so sick to death of the Tivo that we're increasingly tempted to move back to Sky, especially as they've got a 50% off deal going on for Virgin customers at the moment.

For what it's worth, our second box, a V HD is like the exact opposite to Tivo speed wise. The interface looks like Teletext but at least it's fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
SolarCycles
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo alternative

I've just rejoined VM for broadband and calls and this is the one thing that stops me from taking the TV service. There's numerous reports from customers saying the same so it's not just an isolated problem.  I did read that VM are bringing out a new TiVo box sometime later in the year or maybe early 2017, apparently it was supposes to be in time for this years Olympics but teething troubles have delayed the launch.

chrisjhack wrote:

Hi.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media offer an alternative box to the Tivo? Our Tivo box is generally very slow navigating around the menus, takes an absolute age to load the Clubland app or any other app for that matter, and just seems to struggle in day to day operation.

We moved over to Virgin from Sky a couple of years ago and although Virgin's broadband is brilliant the TV side of things is really disappointing. Our old Sky+HD box used to whizz around the menus and guide, responding instantly to everything we asked it to do. Using the Tivo box is like trying to wade through treacle.

We're getting to the stage now where we're so sick to death of the Tivo that we're increasingly tempted to move back to Sky, especially as they've got a 50% off deal going on for Virgin customers at the moment.

For what it's worth, our second box, a V HD is like the exact opposite to Tivo speed wise. The interface looks like Teletext but at least it's fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
Darkman
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The sad truth is that the TiVo didn't use to be like this. A succession of 'updates', including the infamous 'Plum' one has added more and more features that quite simply have slowed it down. The new features aren't usable (too slow and laggy) and now sadly even the basics of bringing the TiVo out of standby and navigating the TV Guide are affected.

VM continue to buy perfectly usable products from OEMs and customise their firmware, always it seems to the detriment of performance/stability. I fear that's what is behind the delay of the successor to the TiVo, as it was with the Super Hubs. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

200Mb BB, 2̶ ̶x̶ ̶1̶T̶B̶ ̶T̶i̶V̶o̶, X̶L̶ ̶T̶V̶, M Phone
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

chrisjhack wrote:

Hi.

Unfortunately, there are no alternatives when it comes to VM's set top boxes. From what I understand, VM now only offer the TiVo, as the primary set top box for new and existig customers (the older V+ and V+HD boxes have been phased out).

HOWEVER, there IS hope on the horizon:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-Update/td-p/3108007

Smiley Wink