Menu
wing
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Youtube video recordings to DVD

I made a  recording of a YouTube HD video from Tivo's scart to DVD but the DVD  plays audio only ie a black screen with audio. What could be the problem, anyone ?  Certain YouTube HD videos  have this issue when recording to DVD. If there is a copyright issue the recorder would stop recording within minutes.

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Youtube video recordings to DVD

The Tivo scart socket only outputs in SD (regardless of the recorded quality) and as far as I know, will output as Composite (PAL) or RGB, but not component video.
Does this happen with all recordings (e.g. BBC), or just the YouTube one?
If it is all recordings, check that your DVD recorder is setup to record from Composite (PAL) or RGB source.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Might just be good olde-fashion Macrovision copy protection. It is still used by a lot of copyright owners, & is definitely still used on VM On Demand content.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

wing
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I recorded 'The Silk Road (HD)'  from Catch Up TV BBC iPlayer last week with no issue. I also previously recorded some videos (some HDs) from YouTube with no issue. I have no problem recording Sky Arts and other terrestrial HD programmes. All these were through the Tivo scart output.  It is certain YouTube HD videos which I recorded only playback with no video but audio only. I would have thought with copy protection the DVD recorder will not record at all.

0 Kudos
wing
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is there a way to force the Tivo scart to output in RGB as with the old VM HD box ?
0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can't see any option on my Tivo (Samsung). Looking at fairly old posts on other forums, it seems like it is permanently enabled, however that may have been changed in a firmware update since.
You haven't said if you have problems with just the YouTube recordings or all? As nod mentioned above, it could be the old school Macrovision (long time since I heard that) copy protection working.

Sorry I can't help any more than this.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
adrianm758
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wouldn't it be easier just to do it on your computer? There's plenty of youtube video ripping sites out there you can use.

0 Kudos
wing
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The problem is with certain YouTube HD videos as far I experienced recently. I've recorded a couple of YouTube HD videos before and they were OK.  Perhaps, it is with some recent YouTube HD uploads. The thing is I was able to complete the recording and finalise only to find the playback is audio only.

0 Kudos