Menu
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Youtube App device connection issue

The youtube app on my android devices has the option to connect to my Tivo which it seems to recognise without "pairing". Every time I select this option, the Youtube app starts up on the Tivo even if it was already loaded. Why on earth does it restart? The Tivo Youtube app takes so long to start up that the android app gives up and assumes the connection failed. If you are patient and wait, your selected video will start playing on the Tivo, but as others have reported, it will stutter and usually restart after a few seconds. Something is seriously wrong with the "connected device" function in the Tivo Youtube app. Searching and selecting videos via the Tivo is much more cumbersome than via the Android app, but this connected device fault ruins the experience
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Youtube App device connection issue

Hey dwedgbury

Sorry to hear about this problem, is this issue occurring when your requesting a video be played on your TiVo from your android device? Or when you make a different type of action?

What steps do you take to connect your android device and your TiVO? I'd like to run a few tests just to eliminate a few possibilities from causing this issue, are you able to respond to my PM with the requested information?

Speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

I'm going to repeat my PM in the forum in case it helps others:

The problem occurs when pressing the tv icon in the youtube app - this triggers a prompt for which tv to connect to. The old way where you go to youtube website and enter a pairing code works reliably except that the youtube app has to be already started on the tivo. However, there is always an entry in the select tv list that has the name entered in the tivo settings. In our case let's call it X-TIVO-X. Using this option triggers the youtube app to start on the tivo (and the android youtube app tv icon turns blue), but by the time it has finished loading pn the tivo, the android youtube app tv icon turns back to white - indicating that it is not connected. The tivo does start to play the selected video though. Now, I'd expect to be able to choose another video via my android app and play it on my tv, but after pressing the tv icon on android and selecting X-TIVO-X, the app on tivo closes and goes through the whole process of loading up again. By the time it has loaded on tivo the android tv icon changes from blue back to white again.

As a software engineer, it seems to me that the tivo app is incorrectly starting the youtube app from scratch whenever it gets a connection request I.e it seems unable to determine that the youtube app is already loaded and treats every connection request as a trigger to reload the tivo app.

My instinct tells me that it could be a problem with the youtube app on android, or the tivo app, or both. I suspect that part of the problem is the length of time it takes for the for tivo youtube app to load (33 seconds).

(On a related note: the netflix app takes 78 seconds to load)

We have 3 android devices in the house and they all have the same problem when connecting to X-TIVO-X.

Just to be clear- the X-TIVO-X option is available without the need to pair the device. It's like it has been auto detected.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey dwedgbury

Thank you for your detailed reply, I have forwarded this information to our back office teams to be investigated. We are aware of some issues with the Youtube app when using a android or iOS device to play videos and this is currently being looked into. 

As soon as we have more information regarding this, we'll let you know. Sorry again you're experiencing these problems. 

If you load your Youtube app from the Tivo remote and select a video to play, does that work? 

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Videos do play ok when selected via the tivo app, but if the app is launched via the remote and then an attempt is made to play a video from a smartphone using the auto detected tivo option, the tivo app restarts.

I've tried pairing my phone to the tivo and that has been more successful, but youtube has to be started via the tivo remote first before the pairing shows up on my phone. Once loaded, the "paired" tivo appears in the list of connected devices as well as the auto detected tivo. Playing to the paired tivo plays the video without restarting the tivo youtube app
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey dwedgbury

Thanks for the additional information, we're certainly interested in getting this sorted for you.

I'll be in touch with our team looking at this and we'll look to see what can be done.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Buffering has made youtube unusable lately though
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi dwedgebury,

Thanks for coming back to us and we can understand that it can be frustrating when you're looking forward to something on YouTube. 

We've had our teams look into this and once we've got more about this and a fix on the horizon, we've be sure to get back to you ASAP. 

Many thanks

Ben'Jammin

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One year later and this was still a problem the last time YouTube actually loaded (a few weeks ago). My original problem was less annoying than this new T with a cross in it shambles
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We've a number of similar topics about YouTube and TiVo at the moment.

To make it easier, we're leaving one main topic here for discussion, and we'll be posting any updates in our post here too.

Thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos