Menu
gcawdery
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Updates

Why is it that the Tivo updates are done at random times?

It would seem sensible that update times should be configurable! After all the Internet conversation for sending firmware updates in most cases does run along the lines of:-

>> Are you OK to Update?

<< Yes I am!

>> This is the update

OR

>> Are you OK to Update?

<< No I'm Busy!

>> OK I'll wait

Whereas Virgin Media Tivo goes: -

>> Are you OK to Update?

<< No I'm Busy!

>> This is the update

Good news!

I believe it is now in the process that the VM Tivos will be upgraded to behave in the way that you would expect (i.e. you will be able to specify the time of an upgrade)!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Updates

They're usually done overnight.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
gcawdery
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's my point! Sometimes overnight is not acceptable.

I have 2 Tivo boxes one of which I would want updated during the day, the other overnight.

In fact the most annoying part of this is it will still update even when you are actually recording something! That, at least, I would have thought would be something to be avoided!

0 Kudos
gcawdery
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Addendum: -

I want to add that, using Sky, I could just disconnect the Internet from the box and that would prevent updates until a time of my choosing (but I think you can configure this on the Sky box anyway which is all I am asking of VM)!

If this is a big problem to VirginMedia due to not having any capable Linux programmers on staff, I am certainly willing to help out! Just give me a shout!

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I suspect that the point is that this is not an issue for the vast majority of customers as most prefer updates to be carried out overnight, although EPG updates happen throughout the day. What sort of update are you referring to as I would have thought that software updates do not happen that often?

If you just want to watch something then pulling out the internet connection would work. Mine has been without a connection at times while I have been switching between ethernet and WiFi for testing purposes.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The updates are slightly different between the older TiVo box and the Virgin TV V6 box.

On the TiVo box, a command is sent to reboot the box which then downloads and applies the new firmware. This is why it takes some time to update as everything is done in one step. There isn't any way to stop this happening as the reboot command is sent via the coax connection, but usually this reboot command is sent overnight.

On the newer Virgin TV V6 box, the firmware is downloaded as part of the service connection. It's then held on the box until the box reboots, either when done by your choice or by itself the night after the download is received. Because of this the update is much quicker as it's a two step process.

But as frank_gm says, updates which require a reboot don't happen that often. 

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos