Menu
gds1972
Up to speed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Update

Hi it will probably be a few months before most people get the update as it will have to go through various testing stages.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/virgin-media-uk-starts-tivo-software.html

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is GREAT news!!!!

TiVo's current firmware is SLOW and CLUNKY as hell, so an upgrade is LONG overdue.

Granted, it will take a few months to be rolled out but as the news is now official, we all have something to look forward to!!

Smiley Happy

sirrahrc
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

About time.  But will the updated software have a dynamic programme guide?  Other than the slow menu speed, the awful layout and colours used, that's the most important thing.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

sirrahrc wrote:

About time.  But will the updated software have a dynamic programme guide?  Other than the slow menu speed, the awful layout and colours used, that's the most important thing.

nope, that's difficult to implement on a closed network

0 Kudos
sirrahrc
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean.  Doesn't Sky have a closed network?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

sirrahrc wrote:

Not sure what you mean.  Doesn't Sky have a closed network?

nope

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

This is GREAT news!!!!

TiVo's current firmware is SLOW and CLUNKY as hell, so an upgrade is LONG overdue.

Granted, it will take a few months to be rolled out but as the news is now official, we all have something to look forward to!!

Smiley Happy

Have you not seen the reviews from the trial areas! They just put extra pictures for paid for on demand stuff you might not subscribe too, to try and tempt more money from you, whilst slowing the interface down even more and making it more convoluted to actually watch and record tv. There is no mention of bug fixes or anything that benefits the customer, just a marketed ploy to tick the SKYQ-esque box.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
sirrahrc
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In that case I really don't know what is meant by a closed network.  Can you explain the difference and why it is a problem for Virgin to replicate what their competitor is doing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
marrtin
Superfast
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How can I tell which is the latest version of firmware? My Tivo has slowed considerably in the last few months, yet recently, I have noticed the box has some "new" features and I am beginning to wonder if these are connected.

If it's true what thanksfornothing suggests ("There is no mention of bug fixes or anything that benefits the customer, just a marketed ploy to tick the SKYQ-esque box."), then I am afraid the Tivo's remaining lifespan in my living-room is limited.
0 Kudos