Menu
ESP_2016
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Series Link - Very Unhappy Wife

We recently switched from our old V+ box to TiVo. I won't go into the aggravation that caused right now!  Despite being reasonably happy with what we got from V+ I accepted that we would need to upgrade even if we would have to learn the whizz-bang new interface.

Well, as things stand, we may be headed for another provider!  My wife, and ardent F1 fan, is getting increasingly frustrated with the TiV0's inability to consistently record the race.  I honestly thought she was making a fuss over nothing until she said: "OK, you try it!"  This weekend I checked the Series Link and its settings, making sure that all programmes for the Silverstone race would be recorded.  Well, so far it's done nothing - not F1, it's FA!  there's one more chance this evening: the higlights.  The on-screen info actually says "this programme will record" but I will believe it when I see it because the rest of the missed items had the same reassuring message.

What happened to the reliable Record Series function?  Never had a problem with that on the V+ unless we expected miracles and several different programmes to record at the same time.  Today there was nothing on to clash or stop it recording that I am aware of, so why did it not bother? The same with Qualifying yesterday.  What are we not understanding here?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shine some light into our darkness before we throw this box out and convert to Sky or BT or anyone else?!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo Series Link - Very Unhappy Wife

What does the recording hiccup state for the missed recordings?

HOME + 6 is the shortcut to take you straight there without navigating through the menu.

I record the F1 from Sky Sports F1 and never have a problem with it. Are you recording from channel 4 or Sky F1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello ESP_2016,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with your recordings.

I can see one of the guys from the community has given you a helping hand and that you have already checked the recording hiccups which will give you information as to why something hasn't recorded.

Also if you want to make sure none of your recordings are going to clash with each other it's good to check the 'Manage Series Links+' option and if you see something has been greyed out it normally means it isn't going to record for various reasons such as there are no upcoming episodes or something is clashing with it preventing it from recording.

You can also priorities your Series Links by highlighting the up/down arrows on the right of your program and moving it further to the top.

Also another good place to check is 'My Planned Recordings' which will show you day by day what the TiVo® is set up to record.

You will find both these options in 'My shows & Recordings' which will be on your Home page. Another good place to check if you haven't already is the 'Modify Options' when you go into a recording which will give you the option to customise your recordings further. Please let me know how you get on and if you experiencing any further issues with recordings.

Take care

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What does the recording hiccup state for the missed recordings?

HOME + 6 is the shortcut to take you straight there without navigating through the menu.

I record the F1 from Sky Sports F1 and never have a problem with it. Are you recording from channel 4 or Sky F1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
ESP_2016
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the response. Due to being tight-fisted, we are using the C4 offering.

I am beginning to see where the problem may actually be, especially as you mentioned the recording hiccup. Since posting my frustrated query I have done some more looking around and can see that the system has earmarked quite a few recordings as failed because they are duplicates.

In all honesty, since we got this new black box I have not really spent much time on it (Herself spends more time with it than I do).  I think the root cause is that the TiVo is 'smart' enough to identify more than one potential airing of a programme, but the user has to know how to be more precise.  So how do we make sure we correctly avoid this problem please?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you post exactly the options used on the series link and which channel the series link is set for? Depending on which area you are in you might have the new software in which case you will have series link+ with a whole load of extra settings.

0 Kudos
ESP_2016
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me - I will try to get back in touch tomorrow and let you know. I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
ESP_2016
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, well the good news is that last night's programme did record! I have amended some of the Series Link options. However I am not sure if: a) I now have the optimum and failsafe settings, and b) that the settings before I made changes are the defaults. The system is not as intuitive as I would have expected so I think I need to do a bit more reading about Series Link.

Anyway, to confirm: I now have the F1 Series Link set only to Channel 4 (104) and have set it to 'Everything' (the other options, I think, were 'new only' and 'new & repeat'?) Previously, the setting included every channel showing the F1, including the C4+1 and at least one other.

It seems to me that you have to be very careful with the combinations of settings. I think my wife might have set up too many recording options (TiVo let her do it) and didn't realise this would confuse it and cause it NOT to record even one programme because it was somehow treating them ALL as duplicates (it seems).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello ESP_2016,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with your recordings.

I can see one of the guys from the community has given you a helping hand and that you have already checked the recording hiccups which will give you information as to why something hasn't recorded.

Also if you want to make sure none of your recordings are going to clash with each other it's good to check the 'Manage Series Links+' option and if you see something has been greyed out it normally means it isn't going to record for various reasons such as there are no upcoming episodes or something is clashing with it preventing it from recording.

You can also priorities your Series Links by highlighting the up/down arrows on the right of your program and moving it further to the top.

Also another good place to check is 'My Planned Recordings' which will show you day by day what the TiVo® is set up to record.

You will find both these options in 'My shows & Recordings' which will be on your Home page. Another good place to check if you haven't already is the 'Modify Options' when you go into a recording which will give you the option to customise your recordings further. Please let me know how you get on and if you experiencing any further issues with recordings.

Take care

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos