Menu
marklovick
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Tivo - Samsung Smart TV - Samsung BluRay/Surround Sound

We've had our Tivo for a few months now and to be honest don't the use the Blu Ray that often.

We've just realised that it was never connected when we transfered over from Sky.

We are getting the Surround Sound as I've got an optical cable going from TV to BluRay

However the HDMI is going direct into TIVO

I've tried changing to having a HDMI from TiVo to the BluRay and then the BluRay to TV but then get nothing. Not even a Blu Ray picture. I've tried all combinations possible (Three HDMI ports on the BluRay, HDMI 1 and 2 and HDMI OUT)

I've also tried two different cable's

Surely it can't be that hard??

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo - Samsung Smart TV - Samsung BluRay/Surround Sound

it can be [hard/frustrating]  .. but it is unclear what you are trying to achieve

you have a TV, a blu ray player, a Tivo, and a separate surround sound system?

both the blu ray player and the tivo work ok when connected directly to the TV

& the TV has optical audio out which you can connect to your sound system.

So  what's actually broken / missing 

FYI, there are 2 common connection approaches:  1 is to have the TV as the hub - connect everything to the TV, connect the TV to the surround sound

the 2nd way is to have the surround sound amp as the hub, connect the Tivo and the blu ray  to that via HDMI , then use HDMI out to send only the picture from there to the TV. [ after careful study of the receiver manual ]

it reads that you are trying to use the Blu ray as a hub, and most blu rays are not designed for that/ do not support it

the purists can debate pros & cons of each approach, I'd say stick with whichever works. the 2nd route is better for uncompressed master 5: 1 or 7: 1 audio tracks on blu ray but you say that you rarely use blu ray ?

you can embark on a frustrating search for why is some of my audio downgrading to plan stereo, and get into the wonders of HDCP  rules, and why TV manufacturers don't allow pass thru of 5:1 from HDMI inputs but there aint a lot of 5:1 reaching the tivo in the 1st place.

on my samsung TVs there is one and only one out of 4 HDMI ports labelled ARC. [ on mine it is HDMI 2 ] you need that port for sending audio out over HDMI, from TV to receiver. check your labels and your user manual.

PS  some folks then buy a harmony remote that costs all almost as much as the TV! to turn everythign on/off  in the right order and configuration. 

i dont bother, i use optical out into HiiFi which allows me to easy switch between the TV soundbar [ which uses samsung soundconnect aka their versions of bluetooth ] or the external HiFi ,. I will use the soundbar - set to emphasise voice-  for some material with no captions, I'll send other stuff to external hifi, having tweaked the audio delay control to get optical audio in sync with picture

0 Kudos
marklovick
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo - Samsung Smart TV - Samsung BluRay/Surround Sound

Thanks

I think I did what you advised and just stuck an HDMI from everything into the TV and it seems OK

0 Kudos