Menu
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tivo - Loss of Picture (Reading Area) ?

Just wondering if anyone else has been suffering from a loss of picture this evening,? It happened a couple of times tonight, first time I switched Tivo off and then on and picture returned. The second time it didn't return and lost sound too so then did a power reboot, got the sound but no picture. It came back on after about 10 mins. in the mean time I missed the end of University Challenge much to my annoyance.   

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo - Loss of Picture (Reading Area) ?

It's gone again, got the sound but no picture! Tried calling 150, went through the usual palaver, waited to speak to someone only for it to cut off immediately.

Not very happy!

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On a second attempt I managed to speak to a very helpful lady presumably in India, she was able to see the situation we were having from her side, and she soon identified a possible problem with the hdmi cable which seemed to be the case. Fortunately I had another cable to hand and put that one in position instead and this seems to do the trick! Presumably the old hdmi was breaking down in some way?

Anyway all good in the end hopefully.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi JRG49,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry for the disruption you experience with the loss of picture.  I'm pleased to hear that one of out colleagues was able to help identify the issue.

How are things today?  I hope all is ok now for you.  Should you need us in the future, don't hesitate to give us a shout.  We're here to help if you need us.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Collette, as it happens all's been well until last night when we hade a couple of brief moments when the screen went black again, ironically and bizarrely the first was during University Challenge? They only lasted about a second or so but makes me wonder if there's an hdmi issue somewhere else other than the cable? Will obviously be watching out for further issues before investigating further.

Regards

John (JRG49) 

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Since last comments, we have lost sound and picture completely but can still get all the programme/channel info as before? I confim this situation occurred after worsening intermitent outages before trying the Tivo through another TV to find out whether it was the Tivo box or our TV. It seems it's the TV as we can get picture and sound on the other TV but not at all now on our main TV as though something has gone completely now?

It is only when using Tivo that the picture is missing though, we can get picture through Freeview via the aerial and when watching a DVD (with hdmi connection) Also my son plugged his Apple Lap Top and we could watch video without any problems either?

I saw there are one or two others who have similar issues and one response suggests it's a faulty HDCP chip so wondered if this or something simialr is the problem - why is only a problem with the Tivo?

Thanks for any advice?

Cheers

John

PS I have mentioned this situation on someone elses thread earlier so apologies if it causes any confusion or duplication of effort.        

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to update, I've been in contact with Virgin (150) again and they were going to test further (after trying different settings over the phone) and then get back to me - still waiting on that though.

So meanwhile I've been scouring the internet to see if there was anything else that might help, I was just about to give up but tried once again to look in to this HDCP question (High-Bandwith Digital Content Protection) that was suggested on another thread relating to a similar problem.

Looking under images I found a website (Tweaking4all.com) that explains how to get round this HDCP presumably when it's a problem (They stress it's not to promote or assist in illegal piracy) and one of these is the use of an HDMI Splitter which I actually have on hand! So I just plugged this in between two HDMI cables from the Tivo and into the TV and hey presto I've got the picture back!!!!  Somehow it actually 'Strips' (as the website puts it) the "HDCP encryption" apparently by accident not by design. The only problem is there's no sound through the TV itself at the moment but I can get this through the connected DVD/Surround sound system which is more important and preferable.

So the questions are, where is this HDCP? Presumably it's in the Tivo box rather than the TV after all? But then why did the Tivo work through another TV without any obvious problems or need for a splitter? Presumably it's because it's a cheaper TV that the HDCP doesnt recognise or take any affect? I've no idea but hopefully someone technically minded can explain?

Hopefully this will help anyone else who suffers a similar fate with their Tivo/TV combination?

Cheers for now

John          

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The TV has to send a handshake to the Tivo to show that it's connected to a TV, if the TV fails to do this or is tardy in doing so the Tivo will assume it's connected to some sort of recording device and refuse to send a picture, the Tivo implementation of this is rather strict and some TV's are rather tardy in returning the signal.

JRG49
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Danny,

Yes that helps explain things a bit more especially having just established that there's a Transmitter (Tivo) and a Receiver (TV) involved. Presumably I'll have to keep the Splitter in place from now on unless there's an easy fix to avoid the need of this splitter and extra cable?

I called Virgin 150 again to advise that I have picture back and how I managed it and they were going to check everything again and then hopefully call back to clarify why the problem occurred and if there was a proper fix. They restarted the Tivo and the sound has now come back so that's really good but they havnt followed it up with a call back so I will leave things as they are, at least whilst everything is working OK.  

Cheers

John 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

I know members of our team were looking into this for you which is why I've not stepped in sooner, have they been in touch since your last post?

If not, let me know and I'll do my best to chase this up for you. We want to make sure this is sorted as soon as possible Man Happy

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos