Menu
Joe1
Joining in
Message 1 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Dolby Sound - Tough Luck

I was extremely annoyed that after making three phone calls to customer service Virgin finally admitted that there was a problem with the Tivo box playback of a Dolby soundtrack. In short you can't. This is a problem that they are aware of but has a low priority so it won't be fixed any time soon. According to Virgin I have to check to see if the problem has been fixed, this is a pain in the butt as I'll have to change the Dolby - PCM option, record a programme with Dolby Surround, play it back to see if the fix has been made and then change the settings back. This will be a daily bind, as there's no plans to inform us that the problem has been fixed. Couple this with the on demand problems and I'm seriously thinking of switching to Sky.

Are there any more of us out there, feeling as hacked off as I do.

0 Kudos
cablejunkie
Up to speed
Message 2 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Dolby Sound - Tough Luck

Believe me Joe1, many more than just a few are hacked off about this...

I really don't understand how VM think this fault is a low priority, DD 5.1 audio is integral to the enjoyment of watching HD TV shows and especially Films!

Many users have invested their hard earned money into surround sound systems and I find it pretty insulting that I'm just expected to switch over to Stereo and grin and bear it, as do many others!

As I have also posted many other times, VM should be offering affected users a monthly goodwill discount until this fault is rectified, we are not getting the service advertised.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Whoever you spoke to has no idea of the priority of the fix, you can safely ignore any predictions of what's going to happen to the tivo firmware given by virgin employees over the phone because they are making it up

cablejunkie
Up to speed
Message 4 of 50
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

Whoever you spoke to has no idea of the priority of the fix, you can safely ignore any predictions of what's going to happen to the tivo firmware given by virgin employees over the phone because they are making it up

I do hope you're right dannylau, and I would tend to agree with your point of view regarding this!

BUT, isn't this in itself rather worrying?!?!  Shouldn't the support staff all be singing from the same hymn sheet on this one, as the random misinformation seemingly given out can only help to **** off many more confused TiVo users!

I realise this is unlikely, but can someone from the software team actually working on a fix for this please just give us all a straight answer?

Smiley Frustrated

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 50
Flag for a moderator

All the tivo software is written in the USA by Tivo themselves

0 Kudos
wd40addict
Dialled in
Message 6 of 50
Flag for a moderator

If that's true Tivo should have the fix on the shelf because it allegedly was broken, then fixed in the USA code much earlier in the year.

Come on Collette et al. give us an official timescale rather than us relying on half truths from the script readers.

0 Kudos
jercarnevale
Joining in
Message 7 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I wish I had seen this thread before I went out and bought a new surround, obviously still no sound in Dolby......

With over 13years of being with Virgin (Telewest ect) the time has come to go to Sky

0 Kudos
cruising
Superfast
Message 8 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hear hear.

Put the script readers away....the scripts dont even seem to be the same.

Forum moderators have got to be more open with information about all the problems or are they as much in the dark as the customers.

0 Kudos
Joe1
Joining in
Message 9 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the Dolby 5.1 sound is available via HDMI, I'm currently using an optical lead from the Tivo to the amp and was thinking of upgrading my amp anyway. I would ask Virgin but I no longer trust their advice.

As a footnote after pushing the customer service they did offer to refund the hire fee (about £5.00 per month) although I'd prefer the service working correctly. Looks like I need to put pen to paper.

0 Kudos
pjnewton
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Joe1 wrote:

Do you know if the Dolby 5.1 sound is available via HDMI, I'm currently using an optical lead from the Tivo to the amp and was thinking of upgrading my amp anyway.

It is available and works fine, but may cause other issues. See Here

0 Kudos