Menu
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box

My Tivo keeps pixalating and freezing when playing back recording's and when i pause a programme it's constantly doing it and very very frustrating any solutions please asap.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box

could be anything from a faulty cable to a failing hard drive, or PSU

do what tests you can - swap out cables- use a different TV HDMi port.... power cycle everything - check that the virgin coax cable iis tightly fitted...

if no better then call it in for a box swap - but you lose all your recordings with that option...

if live tv is working 100% then it's likely to be a hard drive issue, so try to watch everything of value while you still can.

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply have done as you said already so looks like a phone call and new box as you say recordings are going to be lost but hey ho. I was waiting for the new Tivo 6 box but no more news on that one yet
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

there is an outside chance that a failing PSU is causing the symptoms, and that the Hard Driver is actually OK. if you have not already arranged the swap out - try for a PSU only swap out to begin with which may save your recordings. or if you have something to hand with the correct voltage and plug - try that as a quick test.  IF the HD cannot draw enough power it could behave as you describe. recent recordings may be bad anyway, because they were make with insufficient power, so a fairer test would be pausing a live channel, with a different PSU in use

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

THanks for the info will have a look have an engineer booked for Monday as it's getting very frustrating so if i can't sort it before then hopefully on Monday he can as it is wearing me down
0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Really my Tivo trouble with watching recorded or paused programmes, i have discovered that programmes recorded previously i.e. sometime ago playback okay it appears it's effecting programmes recorded these last few days or the same day before i view them later i.e. Coronation St.to watch later in the evening freezes and pixulates any ideas please ?
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colinalbert,

Thank you for coming in and posting again, welcome back Smiley Happy

I am sorry to read about the pixelation on the TV services, looks like there is a blanket fault existing in regards to SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio). I have checked the TiVo's hard drive and there are some issues that would need addressing and most likely a box swap. I would like to arrange an engineer to come out and sort this so the TiVo is ready for when the SNR issue is sorted.

The SNR issue will be knocking all services out of balance in the meantime and i have enclosed some details below of what's going on and a reference:-

Outage reference: F004797947

Est review date:     14/10/2016

Can have a little look inside your 'Inbox', you'll see I've sent you a 'Private Message'. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope Smiley Happy

Speak to you soon.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for info and offer of help , have engineer coming out Monday pm hopefully to sort it out one way or the other . I'm waiting on the Tivo 6 launch to see what that offers also will be interesting to see the 4K output it's supposed to have .
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

that narrows it down to a couple of things

1. a fault on the line , now cleared, for those few days so that all recordings in that period were bad ( but then I:d expect live TV to have been bad also)

Only VM have a history of line faults and only they can run line checks as at now - which is automatic I think when you phone in  to report a fault.. I'd do that as it's free and quick. Maybe quickly test on the coronation street channel before picking up the phone[ UPDATE - I see they are saying there is  a known fault in your area... ]

2. Or it is a problem which is affecting how the HD writes data ( but was not there to affect how your older shows were written to disc)- that could be  power supply, or HD beginning to fail... On  PC you'd run  checkdisc to look for bad sectors or S.M.A.R.T to check hard drive health but tivo lacks those tools.

the smart option is probably to binge watch all that you can, then start over with a new box

0 Kudos