Menu
aradiographer
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box switches itself on every night

Our Tivo box has been switching itself on from standby every night for the past month or more.  It stays on standby during the day, but comes on again overnight.  How do I stop this happening?

I want to go away on holiday and leave it to record some programmes while I'm away, but don't want to leave it on all the time.

I'd be grateful for some help as I see from the forum that it's not an uncommon problem.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo Box switches itself on every night

aradiographer wrote:

Our Tivo box has been switching itself on from standby every night for the past month or more.  It stays on standby during the day, but comes on again overnight.  How do I stop this happening?

I want to go away on holiday and leave it to record some programmes while I'm away, but don't want to leave it on all the time.

I'd be grateful for some help as I see from the forum that it's not an uncommon problem.

Have you see this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-box-Rebooting-at-06-55am-for-the-...

Could be the same happening in your area. I have noted both our TiVo's exhibit this behaviour (rebooting at the same time) in the early hours when our area is undergoing upgrade/maintenance work.

Before you go on holiday I would suggest going into the power settings and change it to "sleep" or "snooze" depending on whether or not you want suggested programmes recorded. I assume that at the moment you have the power saving settings turned off which is why the box is not going to standby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B

All Replies
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

aradiographer wrote:

Have you see this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-box-Rebooting-at-06-55am-for-the-...

Could be the same happening in your area. I have noted both our TiVo's exhibit this behaviour (rebooting at the same time) in the early hours when our area is undergoing upgrade/maintenance work.

Before you go on holiday I would suggest going into the power settings and change it to "sleep" or "snooze" depending on whether or not you want suggested programmes recorded. I assume that at the moment you have the power saving settings turned off which is why the box is not going to standby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
aradiographer
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - I will check this out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi aradiographer,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I just wanted to pop by and let you know I have confirmed that you are being impacted by the known issue we have that's been highlighted by G4DDS.  

Hopefully This should be sorted by the end of this week, if it is ongoing beyond this, let me know and we can check for an update for you.

We're here to help if you need us.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
paulbrookes
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This is happening at GL2 4UA, for what seems all this year, very annoying in the middle of the night as soundbar is connected to box.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulbrookes Smiley Happy

Thank you for coming in and posting your comment on the box turning off. I am very sorry that this has been happening to you and would like to help.

I can see after checking the TiVo, that the hard drive isn't working as it should be and will be interfering with your recordings. I would recommend getting this looked into by an engineer and if you can take a look in your 'Inbox' as I've sent you a 'Private Message'. You can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
iangster
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Our Tivo box experiences this issue about 2 twice a week.  I phoned Virgin this morning and the person I spoke to had never heard of the issue before.  He advised he will monitor my box for the next 48hrs for any strange issues.   

If this doesn't show up anything I may request an engineer to come and check/replace the box.

Failing that I'm going to install a timer switch and set it so that particular plug socket doesn't receive power between bedtime and 5 o'clock (when Virgin sends updates to the box)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello iangster,

Sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue and I would like to welcome you to the community.

This is strange thing to happen but it could be down to a number of reasons such as updates to the box or maybe even the power saving settings could be interfering with it. There shouldn't be much difference in power use when the box is on or in standby though and the box can still record when it's in standby. Please let me know if this does keep happening though and I can send one of the team out to take a look at it for you.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
GTV350
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

hi, when I come down most mornings my TiVo box is on I live in the rm11 area, I am going away soon and I don't want this to happen then.

0 Kudos
Noggin-The-Nog
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Sorry to jump on this thread too.  I'm new to the forum, and joined specifically because this is the same issue that I'm having with my Tivo box.
I have 2 TiVo boxes.  One downstairs and one upstairs.  The one in the bedroom comes out of standby to "on", on what seems like every other night.  I don't have anything set to record.  The power setting is set to "sleep".  The box appears to come on between the hours of 2.34 and 2.40 - and because it's on a chest of drawers, the hard drive sound is amplified and wakes me up every time!  It doesn't seem to switch itself off (which obviously it should if it's set to sleep).
It seems to be coming on more and more frequently and I can't believe that it's because of system updates, because the one downstairs seems to be behaving itself - and there can't be several system updates every week!

Would anyone be able to help advise me?  I live in the BN1 area.

Thank you.