Menu
studio500
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box incredibly slow

Hi, my Tivo box has become so painfully slow that it is almost unusable.

This is especially evident when using my shows or any apps especially Netflix. with delays of up to 30 seconds from pressing a button, to something actually happening on screen.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

0 Kudos
fletch26
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box incredibly slow

Have you tried restarting it?

Home > Clear or Reset TiVo box > Restart the TiVo box

0 Kudos
studio500
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes. I've had to restart several times this week but oddly the box will sometimes freeze whilst watching Netflix say, and reboot/ restart all by itself in the middle of a program. In fact. it just did exactly this very same thing about 30 seconds ago.

0 Kudos
JamieMA
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Old technology with poorly optimised code.

It's never going to be any good really. 

I gave up using my TIVO for anything other than the odd recording, and even that it's managed to mess up of late. Hopefully there will be a hardware refresh at some point, as they don't seem to be able to do anything on the software side.

vadek
Rising star
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It definitely needs a processor upgrade. Maybe a total software rewrite, as well.

0 Kudos
jnoble100
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Try and give Virgin a call and see if they can suggest anything.  Sadly I'm thinking unlikely but it's worth a try just in case something specific to the box.   The problem is the boxes are old out of date technology and a new version is much needed.  We joined back in November and coming from Sky it's nonsense how slow the Virgin box is (and this was Sky before their new Sky-Q technology).  The rumours are that Virgin are bringing out a new box in 2016 and a big software update for older boxes but no-one has any idea when!

0 Kudos
studio500
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both, I'll give them a ring very shortly and see what they say.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
studio500
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Having spoken to Virgin, I'm told they are sending out a "Special Engineer" to take a look at my problem and possibly even replace my box.

I'll keep you guys posted. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
studio500
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was visited by Virgin engineer Darren who arrived on time and to be perfectly honest, he was probably one of the most polite and efficient engineers ever to have visited our home.

Darren identified that my old Tivo box was still using a chipped Virgin media card that was sticking out the back of the machine and after a few short tests he stated that my box would need replacing.

Darren also checked that my internet modem was performing at its optimal best and I'm now up and running again with a faster performing Tivo box.

Thanks to all and a special thanks to my engineer, Darren.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi studio500,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you were having trouble with your TiVo® but glad to hear it's all been sorted!

If your TiVo® ever gets a little sluggish there's a little trick you can do to clear background data and help speed it up. Just go to the Home screen and on the remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

We're here to help so if you get any more issues then give us a shout!

All the best  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos