Menu
aallcock63
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box in another room...Will it work?

Hi,

So I signed up with Virgin today, and on the website the info available seemed to suggest that the Tivi box would work in a different room to the router/Virgin socket. 

However, having tried to set the box up this evening, using powerline adapters to get them connected to the internet, I just cant get it working.  The Tivo box startup gets stuck on the first point ('checking connections') and shows error code 7001

So my question is, can the Tivo box actually function without being directly connected to the Virgin point using the cable they provided in my start-up box? If so, how? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box in another room...Will it work?

The Tivo has to be connected via the white coax cable, it cannot work over ethernet

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It would be useful if you could direct us to the webpage which misled you.

George507927
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same problem, this led me to believe it was a simple matter of connected via a powerline adapator http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=13730&CURRENT_...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

George507927 wrote:

I'm having the same problem, this led me to believe it was a simple matter of connected via a powerline adapator http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=13730&CURRENT_...

it clearly states 

Connecting TiVo to your home network to use the Virgin TV Anywhere app as an advanced remote control

nowhere does it say you can not have the coax connected

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you want the TiVO in another room you have no option but to ring Virgin & arrange a tech visit to install the additional coax cabling/splitters & adjust the signal levels to compensate for the alterations. This will likely be a chargeable callout as its not fault related & you did not ask to change the location at the time of the original installation.

The ethernet connection on the TiVO has 2 purposes. To allow the use of mobile devices as a remote & to stream programmes to another TiVO on the same account. All the other functions of the box (TV channels & app content) are delivered direct through the white coax cable.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile