Menu
sasperello
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box comes on in the middle of the night

My Tivo box keeps turning itself on in the middle of the night at various times.  This in turn obviously turns the TV on and wakes the household up!  

I presume it is either faulty or receiving some kind of update but not sure which.

Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box comes on in the middle of the night

Hi its receiving data this is normal to update epg & changes that virgin make, so if you turn the TV off property it should not come on, mine doesn't, it's essential to keep your virgin box in standby or it won't work properly. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
sasperello
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The Tivo and TV are linked so that when you wake up the Tivo the TV also comes on.  I thought this was how it is supposed to be designed to work?  Surely i have got to turn my TV off at the mains to stop this.  That seems a bit daft.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Of course not you just use the TV remote for the TV the virgin remote for your cable box, quite simple
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry if I seemed a bit short in my earlier reply. Let me explain in a bit more detail. When you turn off your cable box obviously the TV is going to go blank but it's still live because it's connected via HDMI which automatically finds the connection from your tivo, so if you don't turn off the TV independently when virgin boot it up at 4am to do any work of course the TV is going to come on. I do slightly blame the TV makers because at one time they used to put red & green lights on the front so you knew if they were on or off. I hope this makes it more clear & you don't suffer any more sleepness. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
sasperello
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's okay.  My TV is an LG and it indeed goes into standby.  It doesn't do it often and was just wondering if i was doing something wrong/had a fault/ or wrong setup.

Thanks for your help though Micky.

Andy 

0 Kudos