Menu
angiejane_2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box Slow Compared to Sky

Hi,

I changed to Virgin from Sky a few months ago.  I would turn the Sky box on and it would work instantly, but the Tivo box is slow.  It takes about 50 seconds to load up and even going into a channel from the guide is slow, in fact everything is slow. 

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or whether I may have a problem. 

Angie

Tags (4)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo Box Slow Compared to Sky

Hi angiejane_2000,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry you're having TiVo® trouble.

Here's a little trick you can try to remove unnecessary background data and help speed up the box.

Go to the Home screen and on the remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. If the code is accepted, you'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

Try that and let me know how it goes!

Look forward to hearing from you.  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mine is.

And judging by the boards, quite a few others also think they are slower! But sometimes there are genuine faults behind it all. 

The forum mods should be able to check your Tivo from their end to see if there are any problems they can see.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi angiejane_2000,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry you're having TiVo® trouble.

Here's a little trick you can try to remove unnecessary background data and help speed up the box.

Go to the Home screen and on the remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. If the code is accepted, you'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

Try that and let me know how it goes!

Look forward to hearing from you.  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

angiejane_2000
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that tip. I have to say it has speeder up the processes once loaded up but it still takes a lot longer to load than Sky ever did.
0 Kudos
angiejane_2000
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am now wondering whether Virgin have supplied me with a reconditioned box which is old and slower than the new ones. The model is SMT-C7100 as people are selling these on eBay due to upgrades. I have only been with Virgin since February so surely should have a new box. Just shows you offers are not as good as they seem at first sight. 

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you went to Virgin for the TV you'll be disappointed. Sky TV is superior in every way except price. The TiVo is very slow compared to Sky but the TiVo is OEM technology used by many providers around the world whilst the Sky box is a custom device used by Sky. It's a bit like Android and Apple. If you want a polished experience that ties you into proprietary technology and single provider then you go for Apple (or Sky) and if you want a less polished experience with more flexibility then you go for Android (TiVo). If you want the best TV go with Sky, if you want the best price go with Virgin.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
angiejane_2000
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I did it to cut down due to break in employment but it was a bad move. Well we live and learn. Roll on when contract finishes 😊

technophobetoo
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Well, our contract is up shortly and I am reluctantly beginning to think of going over to 'the dark side', the Tivo had become virtually unusable until I tried Josh's trick which seems to have helped a lot. Now we need to see what happens with the BB, that has been 99% reliable for years but has been patchy and sometimes none existent ever since the talk of upgrading from 152 to 200mb...
0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The technology is capable of so much more, Virgin just don't have the buying power that Sky does to get the channels or the money to invest in cutting edge technology. Virgin Media took on huge debts when Telewest and NTL merged which had prevented the former from investing in their networks and allowed Sky to scream ahead unchallenged. They started off on the wrong foot back when they started putting the cable networks in, burying cables rather than hang them off telegraph poles until they'd started paying for themselves.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
castingflame
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's not actually true as Virgin Media didn't even exist at the time. You may be refering to Virgin Mobile.

0 Kudos