Menu
SH3user
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box Red BBC Button

I received my Tivo box a few days ago and am having problems with the BBC red button. The first problem is that it takes so long to load that you wonder if you pressed the red button in the first place.

The second is a major problem for me. I can not find the red button text service! I use the text service 6-10 times a day and can read all the interesting articles during a boring bit of a program or an AD break. The Tivo box red button service takes me (eventually) to short video clips for information in minutes that I could read in seconds. I never had any issues with my HD V box. Where is the red button text service and when will it be available if ever? I can't believe that I have reverted back to freeview for my main viewing just because I can not find the text service. I use the text service because it is fast news but people who are deaf or have hearing difficulties have a greater need than I.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo Box Red BBC Button

The BBC CRB service on TiVO uses the internet via the BBC servers directly. The liberate driven system has to be maintained by Virgin & utilises a data stream in the TV part of the system. A method that is inefficient & costly.

This type of system has already been scrapped by Sky, who now have a system similar to that in use on the TiVO. The newer Freesat boxes also operate in this way, & TV's with built-in Freeview will eventually lose the text service as new SMART TV's replace them with a BBC App to access content.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The text service is a legacy feature of the liberate platform that runs VM's older boxes. This service is not upgradable, & is now creaking at the seams, so has replaced in the TiVO & V6 (at the BBC's request) with the BBC Connected Red Button service. This is a BBC driven add-on maintained by them & not Virgin, so that they can change its functionality as they so wish.

The first thing with your slowness issue is to get signal levels checked.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
SH3user
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would think that the data rate for the text service was low compared with the red button video services and I am experiencing no speed issued on other channels except the loading time when I use the red button. They could be looking at reducing the service maintenance costs by phasing it out? No problem! I will just watch more freeview unless the BBC end their service there. Do VM have to pay the BBC for access to the text service???????

Customer since 1995

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The BBC CRB service on TiVO uses the internet via the BBC servers directly. The liberate driven system has to be maintained by Virgin & utilises a data stream in the TV part of the system. A method that is inefficient & costly.

This type of system has already been scrapped by Sky, who now have a system similar to that in use on the TiVO. The newer Freesat boxes also operate in this way, & TV's with built-in Freeview will eventually lose the text service as new SMART TV's replace them with a BBC App to access content.

SH3user
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That sounds more like a credible answer. I am currently in contact with the BBC over the matter as I'm sure they could include it via the Red Button+ service if they choose to do so as there is already one page containing text news. Been watching freeview all day just for the text service. Haven't done that since I got cable years ago. There is enough channels to keep me occupied during the day and the red button text works faster than on the V Box HD I previously used.

Customer since 1995

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You may find this helpful:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Interactive-on-TiVo/m-p/3356113/highli...

0 Kudos