Menu
mikeydrelox
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box - Noisy Hard Drive

I had a new Tivo box recently, and the hard rive rumbles away constantly even when not recording. I am quite sensitive to noise, the box is in a wooden cabinet in a small room and I can hear it in the evening when the road noise stops to the degree that I find it distracting. I have read the other threads, and can confirm that the drumming sound is still present when I lift up the box - I have also tried putting dampeners under the box but this does not help.

I had an earlier model previously in exactly the same place and did not have this problem. This one is now in another room, and is absolutely silent.

Many people might not be distracted by what is a relatively quiet sound and suspect an engineer will just tell me this is normal, I don't think there is a fault, I just think it is a noisy HDD, and wonder if a replacement box will be exactly the same - if this is the case I will probably cancel my Tivo service as there are times when this gets so annoying I have to stop watching

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box - Noisy Hard Drive

Hi mikeydrelox

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your TiVo box. I've been able to locate your account to take a closer look at this for you.

Although we expect the box to make a little noise, it's not to the level that you're describing so there could be an issue with that individual box. For that reason, I'd like to arrange for someone to come and take a closer look at this if you're available?

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, you can view the message by clicking the red envelope on the top left of this page.

Sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused, we're looking forward to getting it sorted.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
steveh1972
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box - Noisy Hard Drive

Hi. I have recently had an engineer out to replace one of my 2 tivo boxes due to it freezing.. I mentioned to him about my second box which is unbelievably loud..He dismissed it as normal without looking at it.. it is so loud I wear headphones in bed . If I put the TV volume up loud enough I will wake the whole house... now I have the new box downstairs for comparison it is definitely at fault.. do I require a replacement box ?
0 Kudos