Menu
g0hjq
Dialled in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Alternatives

With the upcoming price increase of the XL TV package to pay for a football channel I don't want, I am just about to cancel my Tivo Subscription and move back to Freeview HD. Most of what I watch is on freeview, and almost everything else I can get far cheaper on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

It's been quite a while since I've looked at Freeview HD Recorders. Does anyone have any recommendations? I particularly like the ability to ask Tivo to record programs remotely.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Plastivore
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo Alternatives

Sorry guys, I'm coming very late to this thread...

You can buy a Youview box from a shop, and the remote record facility is provided by Youview themselves and is completely independent from TalkTalk and BT. I used to be a TalkTalk TV customer (don't go there, it's not good, though they managed to somehow get it right after 2 years of tinkering) and when I unsubscribed, I had a transition period with just Freeview on it, and it works perfectly well, you just don't get any paid channel.

These boxes also have Netflix and NowTV apps included (though you need to subscribe to these services - I don't recommend NowTV as the picture quality is really poor), has all the main players (BBC, ITV/STV, S4/C, C4, C5 and UKTV), and the backwards EPG works much better than TiVo's!

One of the things I really liked and miss on TiVo is that the recordings start at the beginning of the program, and end when it finishes (the broadcasters send a signal to indicate start and end times on Frreview, and Youview boxes use that to time start and end of recordings). In nearly 2 years of using it, I have had a problem only once, with the last 2 minutes of a program, but that should have been fixed by now.

They are dual tuner, and if you are recording 2 channels, you may still be able to watch a 3rd one, providing it is on the same multiplex/frequency than one that is being recorded. And series recording work across all channels (I missed the first episode of Under the Dome on Channel 5, and put a series record on episode 2, the box recorded a rebroadcast of episode 1 on 5USA the following day. Worked with Formula 1 as well, as some practice sessions and qualifiers are shown on BBC2 instead of BBC1)! Though series links are not perpetual, so you need to keep an eye open.

When I first used a TiVo, I realised that Youview just replicated how TiVo works, less the useless program recommendations. I would very highly recommend Youview boxes for Freeview. I would however very strongly recommend that you get a Humax box in a shop and avoid the cheap second hand Huawei boxes on eBay, as they lack the power to run smoothly.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Chrissiej31
Up to speed
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

What price increase? I have XL and I haven't been told?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Chrissiej31 wrote:
What price increase? I have XL and I haven't been told?

Discussed extensively in a couple of threads like this.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV/Bt-europe-TVXL/td-p/2858300

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Chrissiej31
Up to speed
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks i didn't see that

So for someone like me with the big kahuna movies and sports this is going to make the price go up? I had a price rise letter before and they told me it was for info only but the price went up and so if it's going up again I want to know!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

E-mails and letters on the way soon.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Chrissiej31
Up to speed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

With 30 days clauses I hope!
0 Kudos
g0hjq
Dialled in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I think we are able to cancel at least the TV part.

I guess if you're a sports fan, then another £3 for an additional football channel is a bargain, but for those of us who detest the game it is most unfair. I wonder if they will do the same every time a new sport channel appears?

I'm currently considering buying a Humax DTR-T1010 YouView+ recorder, but as I'll be saving around £25/month by ditching Virgin TV it should pay for itself in no time.

0 Kudos
Chrissiej31
Up to speed
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I can cancel it all and I am but not for football and I can get it elsewhere
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

g0hjq wrote:

Yes, I think we are able to cancel at least the TV part.

I guess if you're a sports fan, then another £3 for an additional football channel is a bargain, but for those of us who detest the game it is most unfair. I wonder if they will do the same every time a new sport channel appears?

I'm currently considering buying a Humax DTR-T1010 YouView+ recorder, but as I'll be saving around £25/month by ditching Virgin TV it should pay for itself in no time.

If you're on the BK bundle you can cancel the lot, otherwise you can only cancel the TV part (if you're in contract)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

g0hjq wrote:

With the upcoming price increase of the XL TV package to pay for a football channel I don't want, I am just about to cancel my Tivo Subscription and move back to Freeview HD. Most of what I watch is on freeview, and almost everything else I can get far cheaper on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

It's been quite a while since I've looked at Freeview HD Recorders. Does anyone have any recommendations? I particularly like the ability to ask Tivo to record programs remotely.

Thanks.

Sorry! It appears your thread has been somewhat hijacked by the BT Sports fiasco. Most Freeview HD recorders are twin tuner devices now, & allow some SMART access via internet connectivity. What they don't offer is the remote record facility, mainly due to the expense of the manufacturers having to support it. I have always stuck with Panasonic, as they are very reliable, & have the ability to copy programmes from my V+ boxes.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos