Menu
davorg
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Tivo API

As a developer, it would be great if VM could provide an API allowing me to access various details about my Tivo from programs that I wrote for myself. I'd love to be able to do things like this:

• Write a program that dumps the list of programs currently recorded on my Tivo
  • Write a program that displays details of all of my series links
  • Write a program which notifies me when a recording starts
  • Write a program that allows me to set up new recordings

I can't find any information saying that this already exists. So I wondered if VM had ever considered it. Or whether it could be added to a wishlist somewhere.

Cheers,

Dave...

p.s. I suspect that an API like this already exists and is used to power the "Manage My Tivo" pages on the web site, so I might just be asking for that to be made public.

@davorg
Former Cable & Wireless and ntl customer
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo API

There is a simple API that is publically available which basically allows the remote control functions to be sent over a network (it's the same as the API for American TiVo's), I think there may be a few additional functions as well that aren't available from the remote but I believe the more advanced features are inaccessible unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo API

TiVo is a closed platform. VM likely licence the API from em. They have fairly strict developer requirements, you would be better talking to them.

0 Kudos