Menu
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tivo 1TB loud clicking & freezing

Tonight my Tivo had some kind of freak out when I switched it on, and rebooted several times without ever starting fully. It was also making a loud clicking noise - not the usual soft tick, this was the sort of noise that I associate with failing computer hard drives.

Eventually I turned it off & back on with the rocker switch on the back. It booted up OK, but the loud clicking continued & the menus were very unresponsive.

When I finally got into My Recordings, I could see it was 96% full. I wondered if this was causing the Tivo problems so I deleted some old junk & got it down to about 85%. It carried on clicking, getting slightly worse when I tried to play back a recorded show, but is currently quiet.

I know this sort of thing doesn't bode well. I've looked in the diagnostic menu but can't find anything that shows the health of the HDD. Is this something you can check from your end?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo 1TB loud clicking & freezing

Well, that escalated quickly. The machine is now stone dead, unresponsive to any buttons with a constant 'Starting Up' message on screen in the wrong screen size.

I'll call it in to 150.

This is the second 1TB Tivo that's died on me. There go my recordings...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello sijones,

Thanks for posting on the community Smiley Happy

I have located your account and I can see a replacement box has been sent so please let me know if you're still experiencing any problems after you've  received your TiVo® box.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rose!

0 Kudos