Menu
Kesa83
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ticking Tivo box

Mt tivo box has started ticking. I've had it a few years and it's not done it before. It's loud enough that it wakes me at night. Thanks
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ticking Tivo box

ticking sound -> hard drive worn out & about to die.

quickly binge watch your saved shows & get it swapped out before it fails completely

turn off recording of recommendations and have it sleep when not in use to keep it " ticking over"  for as long as possible

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes I know - you rent the TiVO from VM and they will replace it free of charge if it is faulty. Ring to report the fault in on 150 "TV faults". One of the excellent things that VM do that Sky doesn't.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the only possible downside, is that they may try to fob you off with " a ticking noise is normal / nothing to worry about" - Say what you have to, to get a callout e.g. keeps you awake at night. Hard drives are unpredictable beasts, but a ticking noise that was not there before is definitely a warning sign. it may not fail

it may not fail for weeks or months, or it could  die while I am typing this sentence....

you will lose all of your recordings, when it gets replaced, so watch what you can while you can...

0 Kudos

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ticking sound -> hard drive worn out & about to die.

quickly binge watch your saved shows & get it swapped out before it fails completely

turn off recording of recommendations and have it sleep when not in use to keep it " ticking over"  for as long as possible

0 Kudos
Kesa83
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Do you know if I have to buy a new box and how much they cost
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes I know - you rent the TiVO from VM and they will replace it free of charge if it is faulty. Ring to report the fault in on 150 "TV faults". One of the excellent things that VM do that Sky doesn't.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the only possible downside, is that they may try to fob you off with " a ticking noise is normal / nothing to worry about" - Say what you have to, to get a callout e.g. keeps you awake at night. Hard drives are unpredictable beasts, but a ticking noise that was not there before is definitely a warning sign. it may not fail

it may not fail for weeks or months, or it could  die while I am typing this sentence....

you will lose all of your recordings, when it gets replaced, so watch what you can while you can...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kesa83,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your TiVo®.

As the guys here have said, if it's ticking loud enough to wake you up then it need to be replaced! also, we can do this free of charge.

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can get this sorted for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos