Menu
omnescient
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TiVo wipes series link

I had set a series link for 'Live:Vuelta a Espana, cycling' which is being broadcast on Eurosport 2 (522).

Last night, I checked future programming and set another series link for the same programme which, from next Thursday, will be broadcast on Eurosport 1.

Today, I selected today's stage for viewing to find that only a 6 minute partial recording was available, and that the current series link for La Vuelta on 522 had been wiped, with no warning and no entry under 'recording glitches'.

I have now manually set recordings for each Vuelta stage on 522 until the date of the switch to 521.

I assume three price rises in 12 months will afford me faster broadband, which I don't need and haven't asked for, and a somewhat less than intelligent TiVo service which has repeatedly disappointed.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo wipes series link

This actually could because of the new software. Series link + (check that's what it now says ) will now record from any channel rather than just the just the one it was set on. Therefore unless you check the settings it will wipe previous links. I think you need to make sure it records from the channel you want so go into manage my series link+ and make sure each series link is set to one channel only. 

Now ive typed that I'm not convinced it's right but worth a go!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Parrotperson wrote:

This actually could because of the new software. Series link + (check that's what it now says ) will now record from any channel rather than just the just the one it was set on. Therefore unless you check the settings it will wipe previous links. I think you need to make sure it records from the channel you want so go into manage my series link+ and make sure each series link is set to one channel only. 

Now ive typed that I'm not convinced it's right but worth a go!

I think you can have a series link set for one channel or all, you can't set up a series link of one program on two separate channels creating the 2nd one will wipe the 1st

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah. Right. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
omnescient
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that dannylau & Parrotperson. Having looked at the channel options for that series link, I guess I have two options.

The first is to select one channel from four: Eurosport 1 & 2 HD & Eurosport 1 & 2 (SD), and remember to switch the option when the channel changes. This happens three times during the Vuelta, due to blanket coverage of the US Open (tennis).

The second is to record all channels, and monitor the free space on the drive. The Vuelta coverage on Saturday (entire stage) was about 5 1/2 hours.

I assume the series link software takes the programme title as its primary (or maybe solitary) source of ID and allows only one series link per identical title, regardless of the channel on which it's being broadcast.

It would be useful to have a warning issued when TiVo intends to delete one of two identical series link titles (?); or incorporate the channel number in the link's link and allow them to co-exist.

Does anyone know which data from the programme stream is/are used in the setting of a series link?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The tivo uses hidden date that we can't see to decided what's what with a show but mainly it's the title of the show and the 1st aired date, but it will record a repeat if it's close to the 1st aired date and the tivo hasn't previously recorded it 

0 Kudos
omnescient
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Right; but it doesn't use the 1st aired date as a criterion in deciding if a second series link is identical to the first, resulting in the original link being deleted.

So it seems that the TiVo software considers only the programme title in identifying a series for the purpose of distinguishing between series links.

0 Kudos