Menu
Reply
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
chris91
Joining in
259 Views
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour

I had the box installed on Tuesday and it has a habit of waking up from standby multiple times a day. You can hear the hard disk spinning for a minute or two and then it goes off. I wouldn't mind if the hard drive wasn't so loud. Why is it doing this? Is there actually a way to shut the unit down without turning the switch off at the back? I don't care about it needing to be on to record in the background. I haven't set it to record anything yet.

0 Kudos
  • 2.38K
  • 145
  • 327
sjp123
Problem sorter
251 Views
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour

might it be approx every 6 hours?

 

if so that's the interval between checks to see if there's any new EPG data available.

 

as to the noise level, doe it continue when you lift the TiVo up? could be some foam/rubber feet will isolate any vibration noise being generated.

 

if it's still as loud once picked up it might be wise to call it in before you start setting recordings & filling the HDD as it will most likely end up being swapped out.

0 Kudos
  • 327
  • 10
  • 62
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
247 Views
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour

Mine does it about every 5 minutes or so and has done since the 2013 update.Have seen it mentioned in various threads including this one.

 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/quot-Power-saving-mode-quot-is-a-waste-of-time/td-...

 

Have logged it with VM but never get anywhere reporting anything.

 

 

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion


This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
chris91
Joining in
233 Views
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour


sjp123 wrote:

might it be approx every 6 hours?

 

if so that's the interval between checks to see if there's any new EPG data available.

 

as to the noise level, doe it continue when you lift the TiVo up? could be some foam/rubber feet will isolate any vibration noise being generated.

 

if it's still as loud once picked up it might be wise to call it in before you start setting recordings & filling the HDD as it will most likely end up being swapped out.


No, it's a lot more regular than that. It's currently on a wood table which isn't ideal, but I'm sure I'd still be able to hear the hard drive spinning on another surface. It's the boot up noise that's the worst/loudest, can't get rid of that. These things should really have SSDs in.

 

I've read of people returning the box and having the same problem with replacements.

 


thanks4nothing wrote:

Mine does it about every 5 minutes or so and has done since the 2013 update.Have seen it mentioned in various threads including this one.

 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/quot-Power-saving-mode-quot-is-a-waste-of-time/td-...

 

Have logged it with VM but never get anywhere reporting anything.

 

 

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion


I've just turned Suggestions off and haven't heard it since, but I'm not getting my hopes up. By chance, was the 2013 update when they added Suggestions as a feature? Or is that newer?

 

Thanks for the replies.

0 Kudos
  • 327
  • 10
  • 62
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
227 Views
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour


chris91 wrote:

sjp123 wrote:

might it be approx every 6 hours?

 

if so that's the interval between checks to see if there's any new EPG data available.

 

as to the noise level, doe it continue when you lift the TiVo up? could be some foam/rubber feet will isolate any vibration noise being generated.

 

if it's still as loud once picked up it might be wise to call it in before you start setting recordings & filling the HDD as it will most likely end up being swapped out.


No, it's a lot more regular than that. It's currently on a wood table which isn't ideal, but I'm sure I'd still be able to hear the hard drive spinning on another surface. It's the boot up noise that's the worst/loudest, can't get rid of that. These things should really have SSDs in.

 

I've read of people returning the box and having the same problem with replacements.

 


thanks4nothing wrote:

Mine does it about every 5 minutes or so and has done since the 2013 update.Have seen it mentioned in various threads including this one.

 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/quot-Power-saving-mode-quot-is-a-waste-of-time/td-...

 

Have logged it with VM but never get anywhere reporting anything.

 

 

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion


I've just turned Suggestions off and haven't heard it since, but I'm not getting my hopes up. By chance, was the 2013 update when they added Suggestions as a feature? Or is that newer?

 

Thanks for the replies.


Before 2013 it did not have any attempt at power saving. Ironically not have power saving meant it was quieter because it was always on. I doubt turning suggestion off will make any difference but good luck anyway.

 

 

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion


This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
  • 4.28K
  • 102
  • 1.14K
frank_gm
Community elder
222 Views
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour

I use the deepest sleep power option and I rarely hear anything. TV/Tivo not on at the moment and all is quiet.

 

 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
  • 327
  • 10
  • 62
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
186 Views
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour

OP: did you get anywhere with this?

 

It is very annoying when you are not watching tv and tivo keeps making loud clicking noises, spinning up and down, every few minutes, day and night when it is supposed to be in standby and is not recording anything.

 

I have suggestions turned off and full power saving

 

VM: I have been told by foreign call centres, several times in the past, that they would put monitoring on to help diagnose signal issues. (not that it helped much) As dubious as I am about some of the information they give, is there something on my account that might be causing this, that can now be turned off?  Seems unlikely, especially as OP is a new customer, I'm sure they all do it, just some people don't hear it??

 

 

 

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.


This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
  • 17.32K
  • 1.58K
  • 2.97K
Superuser
Superuser
176 Views
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo waking up from standby numerous times per hour


chris91 wrote:

I've just turned Suggestions off and haven't heard it since, but I'm not getting my hopes up. By chance, was the 2013 update when they added Suggestions as a feature? Or is that newer?

 

Thanks for the replies.


Suggestions are older than the Power Saving options.

 

Personally for me I only get the noise when the hard disk spinning up from Power Saving to record. Once it's up to speed I don't notice it, so it can sound like it only lasts for a few seconds.

**********************************
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos