Menu
trevally
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TiVo v new Sky box

I have been a loyal Virgin customer for many years now but I have to question the current TiVo box compared to the latest Sky box, which a family member of mine has. When will Virgin accept that the TiVo box as it is is now out of date and in need of a make over. The latest software upgrade is all well and good but the box just can't handle what is demanded of it. It is now slow and sluggish. My main beef is not being able to download and watch my own recorded programs on my own devices as you can with the new Sky Box. This is what we need to able to do. Can anyone from the Vorgin team tell us if a new TiVo box is in development and if so when is it going to be available. If not then why not!! Come on Virgin, don't let Sky get the drop on you....

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo v new Sky box

Virgin Media have already announced that a new box is coming

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138484-all-new-4k-virgin-media-v6-tivo-box-revealed-coming-soon-to-r...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
cbc
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is the way it goes with Sky and VM. One takes the lead then the other does. When TiVo was released it topped anything Sky could offer but now SkyQ tops anything VM can offer, at present anyway. 

VM told me that have a new box is currently being trialled which is supposed to be a rival for Sky's new system but they were not willing to give me any details. Based on pictures I have seen the new box isn't very pretty though, its certainly nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as Sky's new Q box.  

0 Kudos
trevally
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info. I wonder how long until it is revealed. Shame it will look ugly though....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to add can you go to https://keepup.virginmedia.com/befirst to sign up for more information about the V6 as and when it becomes available.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Brentleigh
Just joined
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't want a new sky box, I don't need UHD or anything else fancy... I just need my Tivo box to work as it did up to around 2 or 3 months ago.  I now sit there watching a blank screen while the menu loads, and so on...  Also, your box now chooses to down load all the previous programs  in a series link, even though I have not recorded them and even when I've viewed the programs I chose to record and deleted them.  Now I have to trawl through a long list of programs to find the latest that I want to watch.  Yes, I have discovered how to stop this happening, or so I thought, but it has somehow reset itself and is choosing to down load all the previous programmes again.  I've tried to find a way of turning this 'feature' off, for all my series links, unsuccessfully!  Sometimes a 'new feature' is not a step in the right direction!  Perhaps , if you dumped all the so called upgrades, my Tivo box would go back to a reasonably fast service...  Here's hoping...

The only thing that keeps me with Virgin is the fast broadband.  When BT gets its act into gear and provides a faster broadband service, then I'll be off, either to BT or Sky.

0 Kudos
cbc
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well I just want what I pay for! A good TV service with plenty of choice, HD viewing and recordings, access via my Ipad and menus that are snappy. TiVo is no longer capable of giving me that and the new box is probably going to be more expensive so I went for SkyQ which was installed last week. Its fast and works well, like TiVo used to.   

0 Kudos
trevally
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dow do you feel now knowing a new TiVo box is imminent?
0 Kudos
trevally
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New TiVo box is imminent so they tell me in thread above
0 Kudos