Menu
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TiVo to Tivo transfering

I have two TiVos, in different rooms. The second was installed just a few weeks ago. The older one, that I've has since Vorgin first issued the TiVo, has a series of programmes on it that I want to refer to from time to time, so they are set to keep until I delete them. Unfortunately, that older TiVo has recently started showing serious signs of illness and may need to be replaced and, unless I can save those recording somehow, I'll lose them. So my question is, is there a way to transfer recordings between the two TiVos? I have them directly connected to each other, without the hub in between. If not, are there any alternative ways of doing it?

FTI, the signs of illness are:- (1) Almost every recording jitters and judders (pixelates while replaying a second or so) which last for anything from 1 to 3 minutes. Even a paused live programme does it when it continues playing. So it's just stuff that's recorded, and it's a most annoying problem. (2) It blacks out occasionally. I recently pulled the mains out and rebooted it because I could do anything with it for some time. A few minutes ago it balcked out again, but I left it to see what would eventually happen, while I watched the input from the aerial. 15 minutes or so later, I looked again and found it to be working ok. If it weren't for the fact that I really want to hold onto those recordings, I would have called a technician out by now, but I really do want to keep them.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo to Tivo transfering

If you excuse me being direct- short answer is No.

The nature of TiVo's design makes it VERY difficult to get recordings from it onto another device. I am not sure what you mean about connecting them together, I assume you mean over network cable- but network cable to VM TiVo just enables remote control from the TVA app. It doesn't mean one can see the other except in the case of MRS. Even then, the content stays on the originating TiVo's HD.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you excuse me being direct- short answer is No.

The nature of TiVo's design makes it VERY difficult to get recordings from it onto another device. I am not sure what you mean about connecting them together, I assume you mean over network cable- but network cable to VM TiVo just enables remote control from the TVA app. It doesn't mean one can see the other except in the case of MRS. Even then, the content stays on the originating TiVo's HD.

0 Kudos
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I use a network cable to connect them directly, rather than connecting them to the hub.

Your short answer was perfectly sufficient, ty. I was afriad of that though. It's a pity because the U.S. TiVo does it. They get the choice of either streaming a programme or transfering it. It does seem to be a bit of significant omission.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Its a deliberate omission, based on largely American requirements for licence holders to place restrictions on content. Kind of like the way the American content providers have court orders banning sites in the UK but if you are American resident, no such ban exists. Work that one out...

0 Kudos