Menu
sushigal007
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo stops working when I unplug the HDMI cable

Bit of back story here: we had the TiVo box installed a few months ago and everything was lovely. Then my daughter, who is a huge Gravity Falls fan, wanted the whole family to watch the show on TV. I figured the best way to do this would be to connect my laptop to the TV via HDMI so we could all see it on the bigger screen. As the TV only has the one HDMI slot, this meant unplugging the TiVo box. We did this twice and all seemed fine until last week, when the TiVo box refused to work. We'd get the 'Starting Up' message, but then the screen would go blue and switch to 'no signal'. After calling a rep, they decided the box was probably dead and on Thursday, a technician came out and had a look at it. He was actual able to get it to work, but thought it could still be glitchy, so he swapped it for a new one. It meant losing all our recordings, but never mind, couldn't be helped.

Then tonight, we decided to watch some more Gravity Falls. Then I watched a Doctor Who DVD. Then I realised I hadn't set up a new series link for Jekyll and Hyde, so I switched over to HDMI to find the exact same thing was happening again. I cannot get the box to progress beyond the startup screen and a quick Google tells me that fiddling with the HDMI connection has caused problems for lots of other customers. Now I'm beginning to think there was nothing wrong with the first box. Now, I'm happy to use a scart connection and save the HDMI slot for the laptop, but it's not picking up a signal there either so I have to ask, does anyone know how I can get my box working again? Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo stops working when I unplug the HDMI cable

Hi Sushigal007,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that this TiVo® box appears to be showing the same symptoms as before, I'll be happy to help check this out with you.

I must say your daughter has great taste in programmes Smiley Happy  I love Gravity Falls myself.  Especially the 'Time Travellers Pig' episode where we meet Waddles Smiley Happy

Let's get this fault sorted for you.  I have taken a look at your box remotely and all looks fine from here.  The signal and power levels look fine.  Can you please confirm if you have the scart and HDMI lead connected at the same time?  If so, this can sometimes cause issues.  If this is the case, remove the scart lead and see if the picture returns for you.

Let me know how you get on, I'm here to help if you need me Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

To sushigal007

you need this or similar price of kit http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet©-SWITCH-input-output-Switcher/dp/B001DAHS5Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie...

If you get one get the one with a remote control(message neet they're brilliant) so it's easy to change sources on the telly  

it it makes your hdmi port take up to 3 separate things (I think they do bigger ones too). I have a 3 way one so I've got TiVo,Apple TV and now tv all connected to my signal hdmi port on my tv. No more unplugging cables

G

0 Kudos
sushigal007
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone. I've currently managed to get it working - I'm not sure exactly what did the trick, but I unplugged both the HDMI and scart leads, switched off the TV and the box and went off to have a cup of tea and a sulk. When I came back later, I decided to try again and this time, the HDMI cable worked. Then when I unplugged it and plugged the scart lead in, it still worked. That's now the current setup, I don't dare fiddle with that right now because we're going to watch more Gravity Falls on Friday after school - we're hoping to get my housemate all caught up before the final episode! We're contemplating plugging the HDMI cable back in once that happens, so I'll spring for the mini hub then.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you can afford it update your tv most new ones have 3or4 hdmi imputs
0 Kudos