Menu
Kat26
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

TiVo running sllllooooooowwwwww

Is anyone else having problems with their TiVo box running super slow since an update was done?  Our box doesn't record properly anymore and misses about 10 minutes at the start and also freezes and switches itself off and then takes 10 minutes to come back on (usually mid recording).  I have tried switching it off and booting back up but no luck.  Getting fed up with paying for things that don't work 😑

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo running sllllooooooowwwwww

Wrong sub forum sadly

0 Kudos
plankymill
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yeah ours is running even slower now that we have been given faster speed, takes ages to navigate through menus and for recordings to start ?

Probably unrelated fault but all tv is down tonight also, which is why I've turned to the forum as info on 150 Is vauge 

0 Kudos
speedway59
Superfast
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here - been ridiculously slow following any command and especially accessing recordings,

I believe there has been an update sent to the boxes that is probably behind the problem.

As usual next to no useful information coming from VM about this -

I'm sure they tied me into a new 12 month package when I downgraded when costs got out of control,

But I'll be of to SKY Q soon.

Dialled in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

speedway59 wrote:

Same problem here - been ridiculously slow following any command and especially accessing recordings,

I believe there has been an update sent to the boxes that is probably behind the problem.

As usual next to no useful information coming from VM about this -

I'm sure they tied me into a new 12 month package when I downgraded when costs got out of control,

But I'll be of to SKY Q soon.

Contract not mean anything. Everytime price go up you can cancel so pretty much anytime. There is another big price rise now.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kat26,

Thanks for your post and apologies for the time it's taken for us to reach your post. We've been a little behind lately and are playing catch up. 

As the TiVo® is running slow, it's worth giving it a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there. Has this made any difference? 

Have you noticed anything different since you last posted too? 

Come back and let us know as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Kat26
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi kath,

I have tried all of the above but no such luck. Very small amount on the recordings as well.

I'm afraid the frustration of trying to use all virgin media products and deal with the customer services has become too much and i have had to give my notice for the tv, broadband, telephone and also mine and my husbands mobile phone contracts.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kat26, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

I am sorry to hear you've decided to leave Virgin Media. I also understand that you need to do what's right for you. 

During the next 30 days, I'd love it if we could speed that TiVo® up a little before you go. 

Try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ycwkpp898
Up to speed
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath. I think everyone has tried every trick under the sun. Even looking on the US side of TiVo too. Its a real shame that virgin media techs are not even coming on the forums and letting us Customers or those who are leaving in there thousands what is going on, and how and if they can sort it. Why not ask the customers what they want. Is it because there are too many apps. is it as I have said in the other forum, networking speed issue. Can this be changed to use our own Ethernet instead of the 10mb modem, cant they up the 10mb modem to say 50mb and upload double or triple it. if this was tried and tested and found out to the cause of the slow down then virgin media would have a lot of happy customers. Is there any news on the new boxes on when and where they will be available. I have also seen that 200mb is getting upped to 300mb in the next 2 months. Why cant virgin media give a status page with the info on. Yes we understand things could change eg New TiVo firmware 15th Sep but near the time it has to be put back to the 31st Sep I and a lot of other customers would prefer to have this info. Instead of having to look at other providers. We are all losing money its not fair on us as customers and also not fair on you as the forum team getting abuse.

cbc
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes I am afraid TiVo is now old hardware that cannot cope with the demands being placed upon it. I think the lack of information, the absence of any sort of response from VM to the ever growing number of complaints about the slowness of TiVo including any sort of indication on how they intend to tackle it and the downgrading of ranks of certain more vocal posters complaining about the issue, is a sign that VM is not in my opinion the same company that gave us TiVo some years ago. 

I have decided to jump ship for a year or so whilst VM hopefully get their act together again. At one point they had, in my opinion, an edge over Sky, not in terms of content but certainly in terms of the tech and some would say with customer service too. They have lost that edge now and really need to take on board the growing sense of dissatisfaction that TiVo customers are vocalising.