Menu
Enduser
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TiVo remote programming.

I have just changed my TV, and following VM's instructions I programmed the TiVo remote to control certain functions of the TV. However, although it will control the volume, and on/off it does not control the mute function.

The remote would control all three on my previous TV. Anyone any ideas about this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo remote programming.

Hi Enduser Smiley Happy

Welcome back and thanks for posting in the past Smiley Happy

Thanks for the query, programming the remote can at times be a bit tricky but once it's sorted it's a lifesaver Smiley Happy 

Thanks for trying out the remote control codes. Just so I know that the remote mute works, can you try this method below?:-

Hold the 'TV' and 'Clear' down for 5 seconds (a green light should flash green on the remote when done)>>>>press 0999>>>> then press channel up until the TV turns off>>> Turn the TV back on and test the Mute works Smiley Happy

Let me know how you get on with that. Also can you tell me what model make the TV is?

Thank you.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

BenD_H wrote:

Hi Enduser Smiley Happy

Thanks for the query, programming the remote can at times be a bit tricky but once it's sorted it's a lifesaver Smiley Happy 

Thanks for trying out the remote control codes. Just so I know that the remote mute works, can you try this method below?:-

Hold the 'TV' and 'Clear' down for 5 seconds (a green light should flash green on the remote when done)>>>>press 0999>>>> then press channel up until the TV turns off>>> Turn the TV back on and test the Mute works Smiley Happy

Let me know how you get on with that. Also can you tell me what model make the TV is?

Thank you.

Ben

The TV is a Toshiba 40L1533DB. I set the remote up using the method you describe in your post, all the features that I expected to work, work, except for the mute button. 

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Enduser wrote:

BenD_H wrote:

Hi Enduser Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Ben

The TV is a Toshiba 40L1533DB. I set the remote up using the method you describe in your post, all the features that I expected to work, work, except for the mute button. 

I have now fixed this problem. I have discovered that the instructions that VM have published on how to do this are not necessarily the easiest way of doing it.

Follow the instructions above but you may well find that the first time that the remote switches the TV off not all the functions will work, so set the remote up again and do as before but this time when the TV switches off continue the 'channel up' until the TV switches on again, then check the functions, ie, volume, and mute. If these do not work set the handset up again, as above, and go on channel up until the TV switches off for the third time, and check again. If all the functions work press OK on the handset and once the green light on the handset flashes twice the info is stored.

For me the mute button did not work until the forth time that the TV switched off and on again. 

To clarify, not all the functions will work the first time the remote switches the TV off. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Enduser wrote:

To clarify, not all the functions will work the first time the remote switches the TV off. 

It does say that in the instructions when using the code search:

Customise your TiVo remote to control your TV

5. When your TV turns off, use your TV remote to turn your TV back on.

6. Press and to check that the remote is working with your TV. If it isn't working continue to search using channel up until the next code turns off the TV, and repeat steps 5 and 6.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

Enduser wrote:

It does say that in the instructions when using the code search:

Customise your TiVo remote to control your TV

5. When your TV turns off, use your TV remote to turn your TV back on.

6. Press and to check that the remote is working with your TV. If it isn't working continue to search using channel up until the next code turns off the TV, and repeat steps 5 and 6.

Yes, but you do not need to use the TV remote to turn the TV on, you can just continue to channel up until the TV turns on again.

0 Kudos