Menu
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo remote is dire

I haven't had the TiVo box very long, but the remote control has always been appalling. The box only responds every third click or so, and randomly, and it is extremely slow. Using the alphanumeric on screen keyboard is utterly dreadful. By the time I have typed something for a search the rest of the family has given up and left the room.

But at last I bought a new phone that can run the TV Anywhere Android app. Guess what? The app is not much better. It only goes directly to live TV (which I hardly every watch on cable), all the other functions are via a dreadful image of the existing remote, which has the same problems as the plastic one. Well it's actually worse as I have to scroll down to see all the image. I was expecting to be able to use the phone's swipe keyboard but this virtualisation of the remote control is crude and not ergonomic.

...and yes I have tried new batteries and turning everything off and on again. Is this the best that Virgin can do?

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo remote is dire

Agreed. The remote isn't up to much. Wait til all the letters start wearing off. But it's what's issued I'm afraid. 

Pure the speed it's worth trying to reboot the box itself. That can help sometimes. 

0 Kudos
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Parrotperson wrote:

Agreed. The remote isn't up to much. Wait til all the letters start wearing off. But it's what's issued I'm afraid. 

Pure the speed it's worth trying to reboot the box itself. That can help sometimes. 

As I said, I have tried turning everything off and on again - repeatedly. Frankly for entering text both TV Anywhere and the hardware remote are virtually unusable. I've tried navigating via the button on the box and that's hardly any better. I suspect that all commands have to go up the line to the server every time before the box will respond. Terrible technology.

0 Kudos
roddydogs
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cancel

0 Kudos
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As Virgin has read my PM but not replied after 4 days I'll paste below what I sent:

The engineer called on 23rd Feb afternoon and needless to say the remote worked perfectly. I told him that it seems much better during the day and worse in the evening. He said that the time of day can't possibly affect it. He didn't do anything to the TiVo box other than tighten the cable connection. He said it passed all tests. Since then I have tested the remote several times and it always works perfectly during daytime and is just as hopeless as ever in the evening. Obviously I am more interested in using it in the evening, but it's so bad that I hardly ever do. I also find that the connection to BBC iPlayer keeps dropping. I have to stop the programme and reload it.

I think Virgin needs to do some more work on diagnosing this remote control problem. I don't think it's entirely without precedent:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=486793

I just tested the remote with the room darkened and our usual light turned on. This is a standard energy-saving fluorescent bulb. The remote malfunctioned exactly as it does in the evenings. So a perfectly ordinary room light disables the remote. We have 5 other devices in the same room and all the remotes for those work fine. Just the Virgin one is hopeless.

I can't believe it is beyond the wit of Virgin engineers to work this out, when it has been suspected since 2012. Your service level is really very poor. Please go back to your supplier and get them to rectify this problem. It's not acceptable to be given equipment that won't work in a normal home environment.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Amphibian59

I'm massively sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing and for the team not being in touch sooner.

The remote not working in a dark environment is certainly an interesting idea, a quick google search shows some others with similar experiences although not too common. I'd be interested to see if a new remote worked differently, is that something you've tried already?

Look forward to hearing form you and getting to the bottom of this

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Amphibian59
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No Craig, it's not the room being dark that's the problem, it is the fluorescent light. I am on my 3rd remote now - all exactly the same. Did you read the thread I linked to? This has been known on the TiVo forum for 4 years at least! The fault lies with a poor quality infra red receiver on the TiVo box. Changing the remote control will do nothing for that.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info Amphibian59

I did read the thread, and got the impression that other devices using the IR frequency could also be affecting the remote.

As you've mentioned, it could be that the IR receiver on the TiVo isn't working as well as it should be, which is a difficult issue to diagnose externally, so apologies that the engineer didn't take a closer look at that specifically.

As you're able to replicate this issue on demand since the last visit, I'd like to arrange for an engineer to come and take a look, it's not something we like to do but trying another set top box in the place of yours would be great to see how well it works. I understand this isn't the most attractive solution as you've already had an engineer recently and I apologise for that, I want to ensure this is looked into as soon as possible.

I've sent you information regarding a visit in a private message, which you can view by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page. I'm sorry again for the inconvenience this is causing.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos