Menu
stanislas
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TiVo remote control of tv

Hi, Have just joined VM from Sky today - how do I use the Tivo remote to switch my Panasonic Smart TV on/off? My Sky remote worked it fine, but although the Engineer set up my Tivo Remote it only seems to change the volume control. Having to use 2 controllers seems a very backward step! ( and is hacking off the other half!!!).

Alternatively is there a compatible remote which does have full TV control?

Have searched on here but cannot find the exact answer so any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo remote control of tv

Holding the TiVo power button down for a few seconds should turn on/off your TV 

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Something which I only found out myself a couple of months ago:

You can also change the 'Input/Source' on some tvs by holding down the 'text' button on the TiVo remote (80% sure its the text button. If not, there is another button on the remote which 100% does indeed do this!). Its a little slow to actually change the input however, so I actually just use my main tv remote!

EDIT - yep, I was indeed correct, it IS indeed the 'Text' button!! Confirmed here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Changing-source-on-TV-using-TiVo-remote/td-p/63461...

Smiley Wink

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Holding the TiVo power button down for a few seconds should turn on/off your TV 

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Something which I only found out myself a couple of months ago:

You can also change the 'Input/Source' on some tvs by holding down the 'text' button on the TiVo remote (80% sure its the text button. If not, there is another button on the remote which 100% does indeed do this!). Its a little slow to actually change the input however, so I actually just use my main tv remote!

EDIT - yep, I was indeed correct, it IS indeed the 'Text' button!! Confirmed here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Changing-source-on-TV-using-TiVo-remote/td-p/63461...

Smiley Wink

stanislas
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, had not considered that, works fine now, back to 1 controller and earache lessened!!!!!
0 Kudos
stanislas
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Even better- tried it and yep that works also, thanks very much indeed.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi stanislas,

Glad to see that our Community has been able to help you with your query about using the TiVo® remote to switch your TV on/off.

If you have any further issues, feel free to browse through previous boards or threads, or if you need our assistance, drop us a line. I'm always happy to help! 

Kind regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
darkmyble2016
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm a new Virgin Media Tivo user.. and I was (initially) miffed that i couldnt change the source of my TV.. I'm disabled so the thought of having to use two remotes (Tivo & TV) was daunting especially as I am quite forgetful also.. I had visions of me sitting down and then realising Id forgotten the tv remote.. arghhhhh!!! lol  i have Chromecast, Wii, and Xbox and the thought of having to having to use the TV's remote to change source irritated me.

Hence why I joined this community.

I am happy to report that having read this post and subsequant link I am all sorted and can confirm that the 'text' button on the Tivo remote does change the source on my TV. That being said it is useful to know that I let the remote find the correct code (TV&Clear input Code 0999) as apposed to inputting it my self as there are several codes that work on the majority of TV's with varying functionality. Letting the remote do the job it self worked great and i can now change source easily with the 'text' button with no problems.

Thank you muchly.. have a wonderful Xmas Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos