Menu
OddsBodkins
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo remote can control volume, TV off... but not TV ON!

Hi all,

I recently set up a TiVo box for my mum. I've been able to find a code that lets me put the TV on standby (by holding down the TiVo standby button) and control the TV volume and mute via the TiVo remote.

However, I can't get the TiVo remote to turn the TV back on.

This seems strange. I have read in one ancient forum that certain older models of TV won't allow the TiVo remote to turn them back on, but I don't see why that should be the case if it turns them off.

My mum's is an older Philips TV, but it's not that old. Should I keep manually trying codes, or are we out of luck?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo remote can control volume, TV off... but not TV ON!

What happens when you use the long press of the TiVo remote standby button?

The LED on the TiVo remote should go green after a few seconds and your TV come on.

Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just found a page on Tivo help and settings> help  Which explains how to set the handset to do more, so you might find some extra help there.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What happens when you use the long press of the TiVo remote standby button?

The LED on the TiVo remote should go green after a few seconds and your TV come on.

Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You could do a google search for a suitable universal remote control or try and source a replacement handset for the TV if you are short a handset.

https://goo.gl/0SrJiD

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just found a page on Tivo help and settings> help  Which explains how to set the handset to do more, so you might find some extra help there.

OddsBodkins
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response Ernie_C!

I've actually solved it! It's quite interesting.

If the TV is on, I can hold down the standby button (on the TiVo remote) and as you said, a green light will appear after a few seconds. I just hold the button down until the TV turns off.

When the TV is off, I hold down the button until the green light comes on. If I keep the button held down, the TV won't turn back on. And if I hold it down for too long and release, it won't turn back on.

But! If I hold down the button just for about 2 seconds, and release it just after the green light on the remote comes on, the TV turns on!

So it's a question of timing. You can hold it down as long as you like to turn off, but to turn on you need to hold it down for just the right length of time.

Kind of quirky. Thanks again, watching for the green light helped me figure it out.