Menu
littledaz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TiVo recordings playback freezing and box rebooting

Good evening all.

Having issues with my TiVo box and just as many issues trying to get through to Customer Services with last call being cut off after a 10 minute wait in a queue. Online chat is busy so I thought I'd try here next, so please help if you can as I'm ready to throw this box out of the window and try to cancel our contract but hopefully someone will reinstall my sanity. Freeview has never looked so inviting!

I'm having problems with the TiVo recordings freezing when playing back. Most recently, tonight, the picture froze whilst playing a recording resulting in no response from the remote and TiVo leds lighting up like a Christmas tree after 2 minutes and rebooting itself taking about 10 minutes to do so. It has done this twice tonight but all recordings have been affected over the past few weeks. 

Along with that, the EPG  has completely disappeared and when it does reappear it is showing "To be announced".

Last week I completely reset the TiVo to factory settings wiping all the recordings, much to the wife's disapproval, but if they couldn't be watched no point in keeping them! It didn't take long for the recordings to start freezing again. 

Normal TV playback isn't affected so my suspicions are the hard drive is failing but presume this needs an engineer to confirm? Can this be arranged through the community or is it a call to Customer Services?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo recordings playback freezing and box rebooting

Sounds like that box will shortly be bereft of life!

The quickest way is always to give them a ring, but you may have some luck going through the Service Status pages: http://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like that box will shortly be bereft of life!

The quickest way is always to give them a ring, but you may have some luck going through the Service Status pages: http://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
littledaz
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that PrinterElf. 

Tried going through the service status pages and the end result is to call them..............looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and join the queue......again!

Just got to decide my options now; engineer out to replace the TiVo, upgrade to the V6 or give it all up! Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Depending on the price you get, speed wise alone the V6 seems to be worth the upgrade - it makes the TiVo look as if it's wading through molasses. 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well done you have sorted & answered your own question. The only thing to do is get the box replaced or take the opportunity to get a V6, bearing in mind they are new and maybe still ironing out teething problems. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
littledaz
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I pretty much know the box is at fault, but as per my last question in my original post I wondered if things could be sped up through the Community as I see customers being helped via members of the VM forum team. Oh well, I'll persevere with Customer Services and try to get an engineer out.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Usually there's anything from a few days to a week's delay for the Forum Team to get to things just due to the volume of posts, so if you can get a response on the phone or online chat, then it's certainly quicker.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi littledaz

I'm sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your TiVo recordings recently.

I've located your account to run some tests on the set top box from our end for you, we're detecting some errors from our end and I'd like to arrange for a member of the team to come and take a closer look.

I've sent you information regarding a potential appointment in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. Apologies again for the inconvenience these issues have caused, we're looking forward to hearing from you.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

littledaz
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig

Thank you for replying. I have replied to your PM.

Look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
littledaz
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Final update on this, engineer came out and condemned the Tivo box hard drive as we thought. Unfortunately, he had used up all of his van's stock! The appointment was rescheduled for yesterday and the box was replaced. Wow!, hadn't realised just how bad the box had become as the new one is so much faster and doesn't freeze.

I'd like to thank Craig for his help in this and also PrinterElf for replying.

Happy again..........only because the missus isn't nagging me any more to sort it!Smiley LOL