Menu
Mario21
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo "unable to record because there was no video signal"

We have 46 episodes of Australian Masterchef recorded (sad I know!). Having already watched several episodes we know they have been recorded. However we are now getting the following error message when we try each episode "The TiVo box was not able to record this programme because there was no video signal on the channel. You may have been trying to record on a channel that yo don't receive".

The channel is "Watch" and we definitely still have that! The programmes are clearly there somewhere in the hard drive as the programme information is displayed. I am pretty annoyed and just want to know how to retrieve our recordings.  I am also pretty worried now that this is going to happen again. 

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo "unable to record because there was no video signal"

Hi Mario21, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue viewing your programmes that you've recorded. 

You've mentioned above that you've seen some of the episodes. Are these episodes also coming back with the same error message now? 

Of one of the ones you've already viewed, can you try deleting it and then restoring it from the deleted folder to see if this makes any difference. 

Let me know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

First thing is a reboot. That can often sort things out. Give it a go and see if the eps reappear. 

0 Kudos
marrtin
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mario21 wrote:The programmes are clearly there somewhere in the hard drive as the programme information is displayed.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be so sure...  You may just have a programmes worth of the message "The TiVo box was not able to record this programme because there was no video signal on the channel. You may have been trying to record on a channel that yo don't receive".

This is not unlike the message recorded in place of some of the BBC programmes in the past. See http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/CBBC-still-not-on-viewable-in-the-morning/m-p/2784948#M1126...

It occurred again recently when instead of film on 4HD, I simply got 1.5hrs of "The channel is not on air right now....."

0 Kudos
Mario21
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Marrtin 

Thanks for the reply but it is a little different.  The channel is actually there and always has been and we know the programmes were recorded but they are now somehow unavailable.  The message seems a bit of a red herring really.  Everything else we have recorded is there (even others programmes on the same channel) but all 46 episodes in the "Masterchef Australia" folder have this message.  Perhap TiVo is trying to subtlety trying to drop hints about my appalling viewing habits! 

0 Kudos
marrtin
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mario21 wrote:

Hi Marrtin 

Thanks for the reply but it is a little different. 

Sorry, but I don't think it is. Although the message you get is different, the principle is the same.  The channel is definitely broadcasting, it's just the Tivo for some reason doesn't think it is and so records for the length of the programme an error message in its place. The programme information is correct because the programme was actually being transmitted, it's just the Tivo has recorded something else in its place.

My guess is you will be able to play the recording and fast forwarding will steadily progress through it for the expected duration. 

If the show is still being broadcast, I would see if it is being repeated at a different time and set the Tivo to record that too. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Mario21, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue viewing your programmes that you've recorded. 

You've mentioned above that you've seen some of the episodes. Are these episodes also coming back with the same error message now? 

Of one of the ones you've already viewed, can you try deleting it and then restoring it from the deleted folder to see if this makes any difference. 

Let me know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Mario21
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath, 

Thank you so much for your response.  We delete episodes as we watch them so I couldn't try the episodes we haven already watched.  However, I tried deleting and recovering as you suggested and I am delighted to say that it has worked! YAY!!!! I am now happily watching Masterchef Australia from where we left off.

So glad that I found this forum and delighted that it was able to offer me a solution.

Thanks

Spoiler
😁
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mario21,

I am so pleased to hear that you were able to recover the recording and watch your programme Smiley Happy

It's always good to hear good news.

should you need us again you know where to find us.

Have a lovely day.

0 Kudos