Menu
vadek
Rising star
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

TiVo not recording ANYTHING in standby!

I wondered why my TiVo hadn't recorded anything while I was away for a few days. Now I know. It isn't recording ANYTHING while in standby!

I'd set it for Strictly Proms but noticed 10 minutes in that there was no red light on the front. So I powered it on and the red light immediately came on.

Good job I spotted this. Now I'll have to leave it permanently switched on.

Not happy.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo not recording ANYTHING in standby!

This issue has been noted here for some time.

A fix is being worked on but there is no date yet for its release.

In the meantime, leave the TiVo out of standby as a workaround.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

vadek
Rising star
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Thanks, Ernie. I checked the first page of posts but didn't see anything pertinent. Shoulda done a more detailed search, sorry. I'll dip in to the forum a bit more than I have done of late.

0 Kudos
vadek
Rising star
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

On the other hand, how did such a fundamental programming error ever get through quality assurance?? Describing it as shoddy would be an understatement. Smiley Sad

Searched and still cannot find any other posts about this issue. I would have thought it would be a major concern.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Ian19681
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Not quite connected to the above but this new download seems to prevent you from watching something that is semi recorded and  fast forwarding past the ads that I have been doing for years. One of the greatest benefits of tivo which has been taken away in my mind. Not happy. 

I assume VM will email all tivo uses when we are able to record on standby, not ......??

Tags (1)
vadek
Rising star
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-doesn-t-record-says-quot-Power-Lo...

Thanks. But I'm not getting a "power lost" message. Mine just says "not recorded". Not a very helpful message, really. I already know it wasn't recorded. The question is "why not?".

G4DDS
Rising star
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ian19681 wrote:

Not quite connected to the above but this new download seems to prevent you from watching something that is semi recorded and  fast forwarding past the ads that I have been doing for years. One of the greatest benefits of tivo which has been taken away in my mind. Not happy. 

Haven't noticed this problem with the new software at all - it seems to be operating as normal except that it occasionally does not resume playback from the point the recording was stopped (still trying to pin point what causes that).

Can you elaborate and provide steps on how to recreate this scenario where you cannot fast forward?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
paperman
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

vadek wrote:

On the other hand, how did such a fundamental programming error ever get through quality assurance?? Describing it as shoddy would be an understatement. Smiley Sad

Searched and still cannot find any other posts about this issue. I would have thought it would be a major concern.

I agree. What is the point of Tivo if it does not record programs. I only noticed this when I tried to watch the recorded local news last night as usual. It was not recorded. Having more time to look into it this morning, I looked in recording hiccups and it just said "not recorded" I also noticed that the pilot episode of Shades of Blue was "not recorded"

This service is unacceptable and unless this is resolved VERY quickly I assume VM will be issuing refunds for a service that is not provided and a discount to cover the extra electricity costs incurred of leaving Tivo in standby.

Anthonyec
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

paperman wrote:

vadek wrote:

This service is unacceptable and unless this is resolved VERY quickly I assume VM will be issuing refunds for a service that is not provided and a discount to cover the extra electricity costs incurred of leaving Tivo in standby.

Ever since the dawn of TV recording devices (VCR, DVD-R & HDD) have all been able to record in standby, its what we are used to, as you say this is a fundamental part of the product. With a "BUG" this serious surely they can roll back to the last good version of the software until they fix and TEST this latest version of this bugware.