Menu
moof
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo noise & power

operationally my CISCO TiVo is working fine, but it has ALWAYS been way to noisy!

whirring, thumpthumpthump as it reads/writes, you can hear it over the telly most of the time!

I suspect not a very quiet quality spinning disk has been used...shame cause I've got lots of WD greens in the house I could replace it with Smiley Wink

So in the dead of night I'm trying to sleep on the couch and its like a small genny ticking over under the telly!

Whys it not totally OFF? I thought.

I looked at the power settings, experimented with OFF Vs SLEEP and still its constantly whirring!

Am I right in that it NEVER goes off?

sleep is just a red light state without picture? with the drive still chattering away?

Appreciate if I physically cut the power to get silence, then it wouldn't be able to wake itself up to record shows

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo noise & power

All of Virgins boxes have update routines running as part of the normal firmware. So the box will contact a server once an hour, & more times overnight. Turning off the box completely will cause more problems than is solves, as the EPG takes ages to repopulate, & you could get to a situation of having no EPG data at all.

Have you got the TiVO sitting directly on a hard surface?

I have seen several posts from people where the TiVO is causing vibration. If you can try putting some insulation under the feet & see whether this solves the issue.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
moof
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

not quite,

I've got in sat 5mm off the wood on plastic arms of a Griffin Elevator laptop stand, and then in the four points where it touches, its sat on laminated floor leg protectors (think they are cork) to try and dampen the vibration Smiley Wink

a bit Heath Robinson but the vibration has driven me made from the getgo....

the disk chatter is really getting under my skin,

the fact the top of the TiVo isnt flat means I couldn't sit my blu-ray player on it so I used a Griffin Elevator to 'hover' the blu-ray over the TiVo Smiley Happy

what does anyone recommend for the four corners to give it bounce?

0 Kudos
moof
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

just found these on evilBay.

wont stop the chatter, but it might absorb the drummmmmmmmmmmm noise the box makes night and day

Acousti ACF3007-15B Black

Very Soft Anti-Vibration Feet

Pack of 4

0 Kudos
paperman
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I had a noisy V+ box and the vibration was amplified by it being situated in a wooden cabinet. I bought 2 squash balls and cut them in half and put half under each corner of the V+.   Peace!

I must admit it was not my idea but the result of an internet search.

0 Kudos