Menu
Pjweaver
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

TiVo - no picture or sound on startup

Have read a couple of people saying this so think is a known issue. On starting up TiVo powers up but has no picture or sound. Menu and guides all work ok. to get picture and sound I have to turn box and off again then all works fine. Problem comes and goes but is really annoying.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo - no picture or sound on startup

Hi Pjweaver,

Thanks for coming to us for the first time Smiley Happy Welcome to the Community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about the startup and no picture/sound, I've been into the account and tested the box which is functioning well and not showing any errors from here.  Can you tell me how long this has been happening for and if this is still ongoing?

I can see that the box has been on for just under a few weeks, can you please give the box a reboot?

Please let me know how it goes.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Pjweaver
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Has been going on for months. Have checked the hdmi cable and tried alternative input to television but still persists. Obviously not a problem with TV as is receiving menu and guide on startup. Will reboot today but would appreciate a fix as I have seen this posted by other users.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hey Pjweaver,

Thanks for the reply,

Thank you for you patience on this, months are nothing short of time and I'd love to help.

I'd like to arrange a visit from one of our trained engineers to help remedy this issue. I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page.

Get back to me when you can.

Ben

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pjweaver,

Just to let you know that I look forward to hearing from how the visit goes.

Keep in touch and hope that everything is back to normal soon. 

Many thanks.

Ben

0 Kudos
transientstates
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to jump on your thread Pjweaver but I have this problem too.

VM was installed in my apartment for the first time on Friday 9th October and it has been doing this every time the box is switched on after being put in standby mode. I have tried unplugging the box and leaving it for a while before plugging in again and switching on but it continues to behave in this manner. The TV isn't very large so I have tried restricting the video output settings to 720p (it was defaulting to 1080i) but it still does this on startup. It is very strange - it displays the startup message and menu / guide but no TV picture or sound appear and it doesn't matter what you select in the menu. The only way to resolve it is to switch the box off again and then back on at which point you do (usually but not always) get picture and sound. 

As you can imagine, I am not very happy about this - it took 10 minutes to get a picture this morning! - and I'm thinking of cancelling the package.

Pjweaver did you resolve the issue? BenD_H do you have any suggestions before I cancel the contract?

Pete

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good morning Transientstates Smiley Happy

Many thanks for taking the time out to reach the Team and Community. 

I'm very sorry to learn that you've been having a similar problem here and would love to help. 

Whilst looking into the TiVo box you have I've not been able to find anything that is out of the ordinary here. I would like to ask if this is happening on a separate TV and also if this is happening with an alternative HDMI cable,if you're using one that is?

It would be a shame to see you go and would certainly love to help before it came to that.

Keep in touch.

Ben

0 Kudos
transientstates
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried another TV or HDMI cable. But surely if the box is sending the menu or channel info bar and the TV is displaying it, then the TV and HDMI lead are doing their job?

I will try another HDMI cable and see if that solves the problem. The box only has this issue when it's been off for a while - if I were to switch it off now and restart immediately it would work properly - so I'll see if it comes on in the morning.

As for trying another TV, that's not an easy option.

Thanks, 

Pete

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pete,

Just popping by to let you know I have replied to your post here.

All the best Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Brinko
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to this because it seems there are a few of us who are having this problem. Same issues on my part. Menus appear after start up but no sound or picture. Sometimes it can take 20mins or more before I can get a picture. Reboots, different cables make no difference. Wasn't there an issue exactly like this some time ago?
0 Kudos