Menu
jtfab75
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo heat warning

I bought a new stand to last weekend , my old stand had my TiVo on my blu Ray player, but now the TiVo is on its own shelf with space all around it.

Yesterday I came home turned the TiVo on ,then for a split second something came on about temperature and it was hot at the back in the middle. I turned it off last night , the motherboard temperature was 40 when I turned it back on this morning but now it's 59.

What should the temperature be ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo heat warning

Hi jtfab75,

Thanks for posting!

The current drive temperature is 47° which is fine. If it starts going over 50 ° then it can become problematic.

Does your new cabinet have doors on the front? are there any other devices in the cabinet with the TiVo®?

Look forward to hearing from you!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jtfab75
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There are no doors and no other equipment. How much space should be around the box ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jtfab75,

Thanks for getting back to me!

There should be enough space for airflow. If there's no doors or other equipment, it may be an issue with the TiVo®.

I would recommend keeping an eye on it for now. If it brings up the heat warning again just give me a shout.

All the best  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i'm currently running at 63 in an enclosed stand along with a Sky+ HD box, stand is glass fronted with a hole on the back so you're running a few degrees cooler than me - i've yet to see any high temp messages.

0 Kudos
jtfab75
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's now at 62, but no warnings. I'll check for any dust blocking the air vents tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I just checked and I'm running at 59 with an open stand at the front and plenty of air space so I would think an enclosed cabinet isn't making a huge difference and as it's a US product I'm going to assume it's in fahrenheit so about 15c if I use the take away 30 and half it conversion method

According to Tivo the safe operating temp is below 95f

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

I just checked and I'm running at 59 with an open stand at the front and plenty of air space so I would think an enclosed cabinet isn't making a huge difference and as it's a US product I'm going to assume it's in fahrenheit so about 15c if I use the take away 30 and half it conversion method

According to Tivo the safe operating temp is below 95f

When my 1Tb TiVo Box started over-heating, a few weeks later I got Ben to check it for Bad Sectors, okay the software will try and mark the bad sectors, but it is a sign that the drive needs swapping.

VM doesn't do drive swaps, or data dumps like they do in the US.

Over here it's a complete box swap - I hope I'm wrong, but ask them to test the TiVo HDD for Bad Sectors.

Our TiVo Box just overheated oneday, and after that it just got worse. It was in an open front and back cabinet - plenty of air-flow.

Regards,

0 Kudos