Menu
DarthTer
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TiVo hard drive clone

If the hard drive in my TiVo box is failing, is it possible to clone it the a healthy replacement drive before it fails???

This is a standard practice with PC drives, and would allow me to keep all current recordings....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo hard drive clone

No, it's not part of the TiVo fault replacement process for a variety of reasons.

You can copy your Series Link+, Thumb ratings and Wishlists to your new TiVo if it's replaced.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi DarthTer,

Thank you for your message, I'm sorry to read that you think the hard drive is failing. If you can elaborate a little more on the issue I can help you.

After running some diagnostics I can't see any detectable issues with the hard drive inside the TiVo. 

I was able to see that you EPG data was a bit out of date and if you can try the below method, that should help bring it up to date:-

1. Press Home on your TiVo remote
  2. Select Help & Settings.
  3. Choose Settings.
  4. Select Network.
  5. Choose Connect to the Virgin Media Service now.

Keep in touch

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
DarthTer
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ben,

Thanks for following up.  Had an engineer out yesterday who replaced the unit.

I'll try the wee update that you suggest as a matter of course.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is NO way that I am suggesting this, but if you have a LINUX or UNIX box available, I have heard that you can clone the HD.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey DarthTer,

Cheers for the reply, we'd love to know how you got on in the end after the update, it's worked a treat for me in the past.

If you need any more help, please let me know. 

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
DarthTer
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nearly a major issue...the engineer never knew anything about copying series links etc....spoke to a more senior engineer, who claimed it wasn't possible.

I showed the engineer, thus thread and after a quick search, found a VM FAQ, but still no link to copy.  A further search revealed the tivo\boxcopy web link.

Series links then all copied perfectly.

Happy camper now.... although my daughter wasn't happy at losing 170 episodes of Dance Mom's.....

I would think in this day & age, it isn't to difficult to allow some method of backing up/restoring recorded programmes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

DarthTer wrote:

I would think in this day & age, it isn't to difficult to allow some method of backing up/restoring recorded programmes.

It is technically possible. But a plethora of copyright regulations & Virgins agreements with the broadcasters dont allow it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi DarthTer

Thanks for taking the time to get back to us, I'm glad to hear that the new box is working as it should so far and we'll be here should you need any assistance with these issues moving forward.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos