Menu
rps1013
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo frustrations... again

Hello,

I have had TiVo since it was first released by Virgin and my history and experience with it is frustrating splattered with good times.

I am fortunate not to live in a high utilisation area so I don't think this is the problem and I have lived in two houses, different areas during this time but:

1) Iplayer is pointless. SD, HD or infact any programme available through it is woeful and an embarrassment. It stutters, buffers, drops frames and sometimes just refuses to play. This is a persistent issue which has not gone away since the programmes were purely based on the BBC gateway / app.

2) Lip sync. Since having the TiVo I have had 3 TV's, plasma, LCD and now LED. I have connected through HDMI and Scart, turned off every feature in the TV's menu for audio but still I have lip sync issues. I have changed cables, booted TiVO up out of standby first before switching the TV on, switched on TV first then TiVO - everything has failed.

The issue has not gone away. I had to laugh the other day when watching the new series of The Muppets on Sky 1 - even puppets mouths don't move in sync with my audio!

If I put a delay in through the TV software it works for a few hours, perhaps a day then it is out of sync again and I have to reset the delay. This is not acceptable.

3) Speed - it gets slower, and slower, and slower as time goes on. I now have to wait 10 seconds plus from pressing my shows to something actually coming on the screen. Then it is another infuriating wait for the programme to play having pressed the play button on the remote.

Pressing the Home button is also so slow to generate the menu.

4) Changing channels - often I change a channel to find that the screen is black but with audio. After 5-7 seconds the picture returns.

So, am I happy - no!

What will happen - nothing apart from the usual silence or "all your parameters are in order and were seeing no issues on your connection".

Sure other providers have issues but this has been going on for years without a resolution from VM. I am at my wits end to be honest.

Rant over.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo frustrations... again

Totally mirrors my experience although I could list closer to 40 issues than 4. Just a shame Virgin Media  were not willing or able to do anything with all the feedback customers have provided since beta release, other than wasting time with reminders and padding and taking away or breaking features such as suggestions and Dolby Digital.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
EDM_Raver
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you rang into the TV faults department? Sounds like an SNR issue so could be a fault at the cabinet or even the box itself - I know it's a pain but next time your home give them a ring 151 from a virgin landline and explain what you've written down - service status won't show if there is an individual fault unfortunately Smiley Sad - but yeah give them a call! You need to report this and get a techie to come have a look!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Rps1013,

Thank you for takign the time to get back in touch with the Community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about the list you've mentioned, I've been looking into what you've mentioned and I've been able to give you a bit more information to help.

I've been looking into the TV services in the home and I've only been able to access some and not all of the boxes, whether this was because one of the boxes was turned on off or there's an existing issue, I'd like to know if everything was turned on?

On what I found was turned on, one of your Downstream power levels are not performing as it should and would need an engineer to help remedy this. This issue would certainly have some impact while trying to watch some of the iPlayer content as there are no existing outages in the area. 

As for the broadband, I'm afraid I've been unable to find anything out of the ordinary here, everything is locking on really well with no drops any time soon. My suggestion would be at the time when the engineer would come out, they can run a test there and then to detect a fault. 

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page.

Take care and hopefully speak to you soon.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
rps1013
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ben,

Thank you for your reply. A couple of responses to your post:

I have a TiVo and a VHD box. Both boxes were in standby and it is only the TiVo on which I have problems.

I am glad you identified an issue with a downstream power level but do I assume this is on the TiVo? You mention that this issue would cause Iplayer problems but will this be the cause of my other problems listed or is this just TiVo in general causing these which I think it is?

Also, I am not convinced the downstream power level is 100% a factor in iplayer issues due to other people's posts and responses from VM forum staff.

Broadband? Not sure why you mentioned that as I have no issues with my broadband and my post was in relation to TV services.

I have responded to your PM.

0 Kudos