Menu
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo deleting shows even though lots of free space?

I've been back from holiday a week and found that a load of shows that were set to record failed (nothing in deleted and hiccup said Duplicate).

But more worryingly, I had an entire season of Humans record (channel 4 HD) and now the entire folder is missing, the shows aren't in the deleted folder (and I can see stuff in there I deleted back in May).

In fact, My Shows looks like it's missing other stuff too, but to be honest I can't remember what, and my usage is down to only 36%, when it was more like 50-60% when we went away.

Any explanations? Any ideas how I can diagnose what is happening?

The TiVo box is fairly new, it was new this year in fact, replacing one that had a disk failure.

dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo deleting shows even though lots of free space?

Hmm, a quick search on the forum shows I'm not the only one having problems with shows auto deleting, even when there's plenty of space left on the system.

This didn't happen to me before on the previous TiVo I had, so is there a global default setting I can set for the "Keep until I delete"?

If I can't trust my TiVo box to keep shows, then there is no point having the TV service. There's plenty of other alternatives.

0 Kudos
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok, this is even more bizarre. The oldest recording on our TiVo is 13th August. There's nothing before that, despite us having seasons of 12 Monkeys, Humans, Horrible Histories, Agent Carter etc that were recorded earlier this year but we hadn't watched.

It looks like our TiVo is deleting anything older than a certain date, despite only 37% full.

What's worse, is that this stuff that is being auto-delete is not in the deleted folder. It's just gone for good.

I'll watch what else gets deleted over the next few days, and then when VM staff are back in work it'd be good if you can help me diagnose what the problem is.

Have there been any recent software updates?

0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried the 'keep until I delete' option?
0 Kudos
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No I haven't tried that yet, and I will to preserve the shows we have, but this is clearly not correct behaviour and needs to be reported and diagnosed. 

Ther is no circumstance that should cause TiVo to delete everything older than 2 weeks old when there is over 60% free space.

i used to have recordings that were many months old, even when the system was at 90% full. Something has happened recently to cause this new behaviour.

0 Kudos
mmillson
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This exact thing has happened to us.

We went away on the 17th of August with around 60% space used on the Tivo box including the series of Humans, Downton Abbey and lots of other programmes.

We've come back on the 28th of August to just 30% used and most of the programs from before August the 13th deleted.

There are some films still on the box that were recorded months ago and a just 3 episodes left of humans.

There was plenty of space but nothing is in the Recently Deleted folder.

I've done a complete reboot (turned the box off for 30mins) and still nothing.

There's not messages on the system so I'm assuming maybe a faulty update happened while we were away or the Terms and Conditions have changed without us knowing perhaps?

It's not good enough! I expect more when I'm paying through the nose for a ridiculously slow and unreliable TV service.

I've never liked the Tivo box compared to Sky's box but I'm stuck with Virgin for the broadband service.

Slightly off point but I was really annoyed a few weeks ago to receive a letter forcing me to pay another £3 per month for Sports channels I never asked for and certainly don't want.

You're giving me too many reasons to move back to Sky!

0 Kudos
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Having had to use a Sky box occasionally over 2 weeks on holiday when the French weather was crap... not sure you'd want that instead.

i think "cutting the cord" is the more appealing idea, i.e. Use broadband cable instead of TV cable to get your shows and content. I'm going to have to find other means over the Internet to retrieve the shows and films we recorded on TiVo in good faith.

Interesting that you have 13th August as your oldest show date. Coincidence?

mmillson
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looking back through some older posts, this has happened to people before after a software update.

People have written that they've lost everything bar the previous two weeks worth of programmes after an update.

Some said that rebooting brought them back but others said they were lost for good.

You'd think they'd have learned from this mistake.

I agree, the internet will be the only solution to be able to watch the missing programmes.

Regarding Sky, I've never had any issues with a Sky box bar the occasional picture fragments during a storm. They're lightning fast to operate and navigate which is heaven compared to waiting literally 2 minutes for the TV guide or My Recordings screens to open on the Tivo box. 

I can't understand why in this day and age they produce a box that can't run it's own basic operating software without glitching and buffering. It just screams CHEAP to me.

0 Kudos