Menu
Veebee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TiVo deleted 40% of my content- unrecoverable?

As of yesterday our TiVo box went from about 73% to 37%. It has auto deleted at least 2 complete series we were saving to watch. It's not a timer issue where due to delete after certain date as I keep an eye on this.  Nothing shows in deleted items folder. We rebooted system, no change. We looked at all recently deleted items via the hiccups and blue button, and it isn't showing anything as being deleted on Tuesday which is when this happened. Series links were set at 'keep until space needed' and looking at forums I see that if the box looked ahead and found it needed more space in next 2 weeks it might have auto deleted for this reason . Thing is, why is it able to delete a massive amount of content without asking me and with no way for me to view what was deleted let alone recover any of it??  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Veebee
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo deleted 40% of my content- unrecoverable?

Anyone had something similar?

Anyone from VM care to comment?

Thanks in advance for any help or insights

0 Kudos
KF
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As you might have seen from my posts my TiVo has deleted the last 50 shows I had recorded which is ridiculous. I did have some shows set as never delete but it was only at 63% when it deleted them. I can't believe that it was going to record that much in the next two weeks. I never record in HD because of the amount of space needed. If there are TiVos with bugs that do this then I'd really like a new one without bugs! My TiVo has been at 90%+ and hasn't deleted shows.

0 Kudos
Veebee
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply yes I did see that a similar thing had happened to you, I also don't record HD and have also had close to 90% full and no previous problems. Did you get an answer from VM that was helpful?

Sounds like either this this is a bug or a serious design flaw? Fine TiVo,go ahead and delete my stuff to manage space, but let me recover it if I need to. 

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Tivo box deleting stuff randomly and with no explainable logic has been happening for years.

There are many reasons sighted for it however I generally don't think they know what is causing it otherwise I would hope and expect them to have patched it long before now.

I keep hearing that its to do with what is due to record in the next two weeks.  The logic is seriously flawed if it is deleting stuff today because it thinks it is going to need the space in 2 weeks time, that is absolutely ridiculous and if true then an absolute joke, in my view this would be as ridiculous as my bank taking money out of my account today because it knows I have a Standing Order that needs to be paid in 2 weeks time.  Anyone with half an ounce of common sense would not program it this way.  It should only delete space (and never if it is set to KUID) at the time of needing the space for the recording, never before.

Reboot your Tivo weekly and hope for the best!!!!

0 Kudos
Veebee
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I guess I've just been lucky it hasn't bugged out on me this way previously. Think it's worth putting KUID on everything as I don't trust the system any more. Lesson learned

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

mbonnick wrote:

The Tivo box deleting stuff randomly and with no explainable logic has been happening for years.

There are many reasons sighted for it however I generally don't think they know what is causing it otherwise I would hope and expect them to have patched it long before now.

I keep hearing that its to do with what is due to record in the next two weeks.  The logic is seriously flawed if it is deleting stuff today because it thinks it is going to need the space in 2 weeks time, that is absolutely ridiculous and if true then an absolute joke, in my view this would be as ridiculous as my bank taking money out of my account today because it knows I have a Standing Order that needs to be paid in 2 weeks time.  Anyone with half an ounce of common sense would not program it this way.  It should only delete space (and never if it is set to KUID) at the time of needing the space for the recording, never before.

Reboot your Tivo weekly and hope for the best!!!!

If only Virgin Media Tivo could go a week without crashing and rebooting itself. Never got any customer support with the regular 2:10am reboots, trashing scheduled recordings due to the 10 minute reboot times.

Anyway, one of the moderators said they know exactly what the problem is, months ago, in one of the other dozens of threads on this subject. Can only assume they don't have the inclination or ability to fix anything unless it is in their own interests, such as the urgent necessity to do away with smart cards, hurriedly "fixed" in such a way that made the user interface even slower by adding extra network chatter and generating "C errors" and deleting established features such as Dolby Digital.

I've witnessed this bug happening myself and reported the reasons for it and rebooting would not have made any difference.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos